THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow, it sure looks tender, glad it tastes good too.

Didn't show it, but I boiled down and mashed some rutabega as one of the side dishes. The yellow squeeze bottle had a sauce I mixed that was about 80% Myron Mixon's Hickory BBQ sause and 20% Mixon's Vinegar Sauce. That's a tasty sauce combo, IMO.

One of the red bottles has the same mixture, but with a table spoon & a half of ghost powder, for the son & his friends: the stuff makes my eyes water it's so hot... but not to him & his friends.

We ate while watching the Caps play the kittens, and I knew the cook had gone well when she said: "you've cooked some very good pork before, but nothing like this. In fact, every component on the plate hits."

Love that woman!

Several discussions on here regarding this question.

I think overall consensus is they are both fine smokers with just a few differences. Mainly the BWS is a water smoker and Stumps isn't.

Most folks are going to pretty much side with the brand of smoker they bought.

Well, you've got a BWS, so I know you're satisfied.

I very nearly bought a Stump's Baby, but decided on the BWS. I'm sure both Stumps and BWS are but 2 of a number of world class units that will turn out great food. The Langs, Ol Hickory's, Jameco, etc, etc, etc, are probably all in that same class.

I think the secret is the thicker metal they're made of. In fact, I'd wager a lot of UDS's have pretty thick metal bodies. Probably their secret as to why people swear by them.

While I'm at it, here's a few other thoughts, and a close up of the Backwood's BBQ Guru adapter:

3.jpg

Now, I read threads here all the time where people discuss fan sizes.

Conventional wisdom would make you think that bigger is better as to its output. A small fan just won't supply enough O2 for a large smoker, right?

Actually, unless you have a huge pit(and I mean HUGE), the small one will do just fine.

Before mine arrived, I had visions of hearing the fan running all of the time.

But in fact, it's mostly just short bursts, 2-3 times a minute.

Nice eats. But I'm diggin that Tweed Amp in the background. :cool::cool: Model/Year??

Very nice looking cooker! Can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck with the butts!!! My first butt is smoking as we speak, er, umm, type. :D

Oh, and GO RAVENS!!!

Bruce

Nice eats. But I'm diggin that Tweed Amp in the background. :cool::cool: Model/Year??

Bo & I were talking about our equipment the other day. He used to play the bars too, and can play banjo (I've got about a year into banjo playing).

Another reason to get the Chubby outta my office is so I could reclaim the space:

3.jpg

4.jpg

The tweed amp is a re-issue of the famous Fender Blues Deluxe (first issued in the late 1950's, I believe). Below it is the re-issue of the Fender Deluxe Reverb. I had a original Deluxe Reverb in the 1980's, but a roomate trashed it and moved out: he took to hanging out at this local bar my band was playing at and had a thing for one of the barmaids. She came home with me one night, and he must have had a meltdown. When I got home the following monday, the amp was destroyed and he had left. Spilled milk, I guess.

As you can see, I made the shelves the amps are sitting on. Couldn't find anything commercial to my liking, so I built them. This enabled me to use silicon rubber on all the joints and between when they're screwed into the walls: no vibration that way. The other 2 amps on the 2nd shelf are a vintage Marshall and a vintage Ampeg bass amp. Got a pretty big Crate bass amp next to it, and a modern Marshall in the center.

I wired the shelves with boxes and switches that I can easily reach:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Using them allows me to turn on any amp I want individually without having to reach behind the amp: I just leave the amp switch in the "on" position.

Got an amp selecter switch (bottom rug) that enables me to switch between any of the 4 guitar amps, or any combination of all 4 at the same time. Gives me a lot of versitility as to my sound.

5.jpg

Above is my latest piece: my Moog synthesizer, made up of a Little Phatty and 5 Mooger Foogers. Still searching for the best cable pattern. May have to build a custom switch to achieve that.

Anyways, got my office/studio back!!!!

The blues deluxe was never made in the fifties but a great little amp...
(1994 - ’65 Deluxe Reverb reissue, ’63 Reverb Unit reissue, the Concert returns, The new tweed series. Bronco, Pro Junior, Blues Deluxe, Blues Deville.)

I have just about every model made in tweed brown blonde and black face

Love the chubby enjoy!

The blues deluxe was never made in the fifties but a great little amp...
(1994 - ’65 Deluxe Reverb reissue, ’63 Reverb Unit reissue, the Concert returns, The new tweed series. Bronco, Pro Junior, Blues Deluxe, Blues Deville.)

I have just about every model made in tweed brown blonde and black face

Love the chubby enjoy!

The Blues Deluxe was originally released under that name in 93, but the heart of the design is a 1950's amp:

"The Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue 40W 1x12" Combo Amp rocks—and not just for the blues! In 1993 Fender released the Blues series amps to great success and acclaim. These modern versions of vintage Fender amps from the '50s customized those designs with channel switching and reverb while retaining the vintage style and tone. When the series was updated, the extremely popular Hot Rod series was born and became a new standard in tube amplification. Now Fender has brought back the Blues designs to satisfy the increasing number of enthusiasts who continue to request the warm tone, unique circuitry, and vintage-style features and look of the original versions."

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...XGB&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CMuroJK9sKYCFQty5QodXCLQnQ

I love the tweed's too. Sounds like you've got a great collection. Any pics?

BTW- Tried to by a Chubby from you, too... I called every brethren dealer. Spoke to a woman at your place that said the same as the others: you didn't have one in stock and would have to order it. Andy had one coming in a few weeks, and had to get it quick, before the wife changed her mind.

Yeah I know what MF says they are a big customer of mine...I grew up around fender... My Dad was an endorsee and one of his first dealers 1951! I was a beta tester for Leo Google fender amp chronology. Doesnt take anything away from the blues series...they are cool

Yeah I know what MF says they are a big customer of mine...I grew up around fender... My Dad was an endorsee and one of his first dealers 1951! I was a beta tester for Leo Google fender amp chronology. Doesnt take anything away from the blues series...they are cool

Didn't need to Google, I remember when Leo Fender started his own company. The other guitar player in the band I was in back then had one of his guitars, and swore by it.

Fender was my guitar and amp of choice for years. I had a beautiful red Fender Mustang that I played for years, and was ultimately stolen from me: something that pains me to this very day.
Bo showed me a picture of his office the other day, and he had the same old-school case I had with the Mustang. It made me a little sad.

Currently have an artic white strat (a "taco" strat, as a guy I once played with called it, it was made in Mexico... cracked me up), a classic black & white American made Telecaster.

Love dem Fenders!

If you get a chance, maybe you could post pics of your collection in the WoodPile? Love to see em.

Back