Babyback Ribs or Spare Ribs?

Which pork ribs do you prefer to cook/eat?

• Babybacks

Votes: 50 29.9%
  • Spareribs

Votes: 117 70.1%

• Total voters
Whole spare ribs for me please. Loin backs are simply too lean for low n slow cooking with all the loin meat they are leaving on them nowadays. I suppose you could trim off all the extra loin meat and get a better rib experience, but yeah full spares all the way here.

If I could complicate matters for a second...there's a context for both. :-D For smoking, I prefer St. Louis. However, if possible, I will usually buy whole spares and cut them to St. Louis myself so I can have the rib tips/scraps to cook separately. On the rare occasion I grill ribs, I prefer a smaller rack of babybacks.

I voted St Louis style spares.

However, I have to cook both; The kids (when they come to visit), and myself like St. Louis spares, where as my wife only like the leaner loin ribs. Happy wife, happy life.

I’m fond of both- when small. If not small then spares win. Whole and St Louis both have their place on my cooker. I don’t buy large meaty loin backs anymore. I will buy smaller loin backs 2.5# and under. Close to 2# preferably

But your question.

Spares

I too like all ribs, Babybacks, St. Louis, Full Spares and Rib Tips. As far as cooking I like cooking Rib Tips followed by Babybacks because they cook fast and are delicious. So If I'm not cooking anything else I will choose the quicker cooking rib. To be perfectly honest I think Rib Tips beats them all when it comes to flavor.

If I could complicate matters for a second...there's a context for both. :-D For smoking, I prefer St. Louis. However, if possible, I will usually buy whole spares and cut them to St. Louis myself so I can have the rib tips/scraps to cook separately. On the rare occasion I grill ribs, I prefer a smaller rack of babybacks.

Ditto! Rib tips make for an early treat / appetizer

I will vote spares since there is no choice for both, but I like both. My wife is fond of buying baby backs, and they work good. I did two racks of baby backs over the weekend and they worked great, although one took 45 minutes longer to cook. If I am buying, I go for spares. I guess that is because in my past, I have eaten some dry baby backs at family cooks.

I prefer spares. More meat and more forgiving when cooking. Gotta watch them BBs closer and I'm a lazy cook.

Spares for me,baby back for the wife, more flavor and easier to not over shoot temps and drying out without wrapping imo. wont turn any away though :becky:

VagueNearAyeaye-small.gif

Back