THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kevinstaggs

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
The snow's melting and I'm bored.

IMG-1832.jpg

Didn't have anything thawed so I ran to the local Wally World (yuck!) and picked up a rack of baby backs - they're pretty average...

Hit 'em with some Uncle Steve's Original. Fired the 'ole MAK up to 245 with some LJ Competition pellets. Put 'em on:

IMG-1831.jpg

Probably should have trimmed 'em a bit, but its a lazy day I guess.

I'll let y'all know how they turn out...

After a little time in the foil and "butter" they came off looking like this:

IMG-1835.jpg

They were good, but probably not my best. Not sure about the foil. Think as I getting older I'm losing my taste/tolerance for salt. The last two or three times I've used Uncle Steve's its seemed salty to me... Sad, its good stuff.

Thanks for lookin'.

Looks good enough to eat :-D Now you need to play with what you add in the foil wrapping. The pellet grills sure make a lazy cook very attainable

Looks good enough to eat :-D Now you need to play with what you add in the foil wrapping. The pellet grills sure make a lazy cook very attainable

In the past I've fiddle around w/ butter, brown sugar and honey. Probably try some kind of hot sauce just haven't gotten around to it.

What do you recommend?

Seasonings

We have a few store bought seasoning favorites, such as Tony Chachere's, Slap Ya Mamma, and some of the Goya blends. Growing up in southeast Texas, TexJoy Steak Seasoning was ubiquitous. IMHO, it has not been the same since they removed MSG. So, I just started blending my own. As the name indicates, it has gone through a few changes. Since I like to tinker with things, this enables me to use smoked paprika if I want, or a little cayenne, whatever suits us at the time. But the base form is what goes on all brisket / ribs, and even in other non-bbq dishes.

I'm a little new around here, but believe there are some Brethren who make seasonings professionally.

Dry Rub #4

2 Cup Paprika
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Pepper, ground
4 Tsp Cumin, ground
4 Tsp Garlic, ground
4 Tsp Onion, ground

Pepper = blend of black, white, pink, green peppercorns
Been using slightly less salt lately, 3/4 - 7/8th cup

Back