THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I only cook baby backs. I don't care about the extra price. It's worth it to not have to dig through all that gristle and fat. I do them low and slow over apple wood.

I only cook baby backs. I don't care about the extra price. It's worth it to not have to dig through all that gristle and fat. I do them low and slow over apple wood.

I too was once like you my friend...then I started cooking a few racks of spares and I have never went back :)

Pound for pound the babys cost more (loin ribs) and their all good just different

The spares I've had are more uniform throughout which makes for a more even cook and better presentation. BB seem to have more meat on one side of the rack and makes even cooking more difficult.

Man, what a great discussion. I think I'm going to have to go to town and buy one of each, cook them the same ( or at least to their strengths ) and then have a taste test. That will solve all questions - now I need some judges.....

Wow, I think it's been a month since I've seen a BB vs. spares post. I think I'll say BBs this time, just to fark with whomever is keeping the database.

whats funny is this post was from over a year ago and got revived, either way spares are better, FAT = FLAVOR!

cooked thousands of spares, loved them all the time. Started getting crappy skinny spares and i did not like them. Just bone. Smoked up my first baby backs, and they were amazing. Either i apparently like the taste of loin meat over bacon, or i had bad luck. Im a guy. doubt i dont like the taste of bacon :-D

I agree with most of the previous post. I like both but I prefer spares as well due to all the mentioned reasons. Better flavor being the main reason.

When I started out Q-ing on a C.O.S. the best ribs I had ever had were Babybacks. That being said, the price difference was such that I would only cook spares. If I was gonna ruin something(and I did quite a few times) it wasn't gonna be $5.99 a lb! I figured that I would learn how to Q using the cheaper spare ribs, and then once I was satisfied that I knew what I was doing I would try the pricier Babybacks.

Well I finally reached that point and gave Babybacks a shot. They were good, but not great. I tried them a few more times before deciding that I liked the Spares better. Ever since then I rarely cook them, but I do want to try some large Babybacks if I can ever find them.

I like em both, but now even if they were the same price per lb I would still get the spares.

I'm a member of the 4 baby back ribs on the 22 crew. :thumb:

5656795316_2540df4fbb_b.jpg

For those who cook mostly spares, do you prefer to buy them already trimmed St Louis style, trim them yourself or just cook the whole rack.......and why?

For those who cook mostly spares, do you prefer to buy them already trimmed St Louis style, trim them yourself or just cook the whole rack.......and why?

I prefer to trim them my self. Why, I can control the cut, and cut them right.
I asked a butcher shop to cut spares into st. Louis, ran the slab down the band saw right down the middle!

I don't have them bookmarked, but there are threads here with video showing how to correctly trim!

Back