Attempting first rib roast. Ongoing...

OK, the follow up. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Big Thanks to everyone who posted to make this a very successful cook.

Pulled the beast out about 11PM on the 24th to get close to room temp. Have set up the WSM the night before with KBB and Hickory chunks. Had a Weber starter cube under a 1/3 full chimney of KBB. Target temp was 250*F smoker temp. My original plan was to be up at 6AM, light the smoker and prep the rib. Due to the consumption of adult beverages and good cheer the night before I managed to get moving around 7:45. The IT temp of the rib after setting out all night was only 58*F. Had to go with it as company was on the way at 1PM. Did not remove any fat cap and only went with ksalt and course ground pepper.

wM6mifR.jpg

Went in, got cleaned up for company etc and temps were rock solid on the smoker and temp steadily climbing. Only took about 2 hours to hit target temp of 120*F.

Su2Hi8B.png

wEwlNmD.jpg

Pulled and tented with foil to rest with the intention of a reverse sear on the gasser but the carryover temp kept rising so I wanted to see how high it would go. It climbed to 133*F after approx 45 mins. 135*F was my target temp IT so I called it good.

5feByQq.png

No brown edge on this one.

L0cAPTg.jpg

H4qqBNn.jpg

My plate.

4xWzEWz.jpg

This skinny Nephew ate all of that plate!

9B2XXjX.jpg

Take aways from this cook as follows:
1. Trimming fat closer next time.
2. Removing bones precook.
3. Researching prim rib carving.
4. Much easier and faster to smoke than brisket.
5. Farking super sharp carving knifes!

Man it was good. Going to enter the TD and Thanks for lookin'.

Last edited:
Nailed it! Great job Mike! Hopefully I can get one on the Octoforks New Year's Day. I went on call @ 7 am yesterday so I couldn't cook anything for the fear of the phone ring. Get off call @7am New Year's Day so hopefully! Great job again on your first Ribber!

Mike, it looks good and your notes are sound.
As coach Sean Payton says, Practice, Practice, Practice.
So, New Years' Eve looks good to me!
Honestly, recency etches it into your brain, look at the chefs here...
they do this stuff all the time. Do it next weekend again.

"remove rib bones pre-cook"

don't forget to truss that roast as round as can be and season / rub.
It will cook more even, being totally round. Looks very tasty.
I try and cut that big piece of fat out and then truss it up w/ kitchen string.
If you didn't tie it up, it would all fall apart.

Last edited:
Mike, as far as Carving,
if you had a bone in, it's simply run a long knife down the bone to separate,
like almost filleting a fish. See, you got that.
Keep the knife in contact with the bone.
Now you have cut the bones off the meat and put the meat on the plate,
wondering why you got a bone-in rib roast.
Usually 1/2" is PLENTY.
ADBA12Hl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks folks! It was a Feast to be remembered!

Mcar69, that looks Great! You should start a thread on how to do it!

Nailed it! Great job Mike! Hopefully I can get one on the Octoforks New Year's Day. I went on call @ 7 am yesterday so I couldn't cook anything for the fear of the phone ring. Get off call @7am New Year's Day so hopefully! Great job again on your first Ribber!

Man I hope you will post some pic's of your cook. I've seen some of your work. :thumb:

Back