THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK, it's gettin' down to the nut cuttin now.

Pulled the roast for room temp in the early AM.

U3sNASo.jpg

Temp probe in. Target temp from this point 120*F before sear.

N0UbgTk.jpg

Cold pink meat and cutt’n Nuts on the bayou. Bound to be a song there somewhere. Have a Merry Christmas in the swamp.

Last edited:
You say 120-125* internal. My question is this...is that the temp you intend to pull off the pit, or is the final temp you are aiming for. Regardless the answer, remember that a rib loin will go up by a full 10* in the rest. If you're aiming for 125*, you need to pull at 115*. If you are pulling at 125*, you will see 135* meat when you slice. All of this is assuming a rest of at least 30 minutes (which you certainly need).

DO NOT hold in a 200* oven...don't even hold in a 170* oven (the lowest temperature most ovens will go). You'll be overcooked. Heck...I often cook a whole loin at 200*...so there's that.

I will get flack from the "but you'll lose your crust" monsters at this suggestion, but putting the loin in an impeccably clean cooler to rest will work just fine. I have held for more than four hours with nothing but steam coming out when I opened it up for service (catering). I have coolered as many as eight ( 8 ) loins for a single catering job...not one complaint. I've never eaten a crusty prime rib in my life so I don't feel I'm missing anything.

You do as you please...it's your piece of meat.

Cook:

Do you sear, reverse sear, or neither?

I cooked the one I did a while back indirect on the Egg till 120 Took it off and wrapped it and set the Egg for direct 15-20 minutes later I had searing temp I seared the roast and we ate It was awesome Did not have to wait as it already had the rest waiting for the Egg to come up to temp

And now go to bed for me anyway. I'll get an alarm on my phone if the IT exceeds 68*F IT. Then it's time to get up and prep.

Trying to document for folks like myself that have never done one before. Have you done one?

Doing my first one today! Didn't read the whole thread last night so I thought you were actually doing it yesterday :doh: Can't wait to see how this turns out. I am nervous and my wife is questioning everything I am doing so I hope this turns out or I will hear about it for the rest of my life.

Here's my plan. Dry aged for 5 days. I cut off the fat and bones yesterday and seasoned with salt. I am going to take it out around noon and put on the rub I made from meatheads site with OO. Then on the offset around 1:00. Around a 5 pounder so thinking 2 and a half hours. Rest for 30 minutes. Sear for 20 minutes on the gasser. Slice and serve.

Good luck!

Clay, are you at 225? I think you're onto it - watch that temp and pull at 120ish, you don't have to let it rest that long. Then reverse sear.
A 4 pounder last Sunday was right around 2 hours.

Clay, are you at 225? I think you're onto it - watch that temp and pull at 120ish, you don't have to let it rest that long. Then reverse sear.
A 4 pounder last Sunday was right around 2 hours.

Yes I will try to get it dialed in between 225 and 250. Another factor is that I have never used the offset in 20 degree weather either! I am sure it will be fine but there are a bunch of firsts today:shocked: I am planning to pull it at 115. Rest it to 120 then sear to 130. Or pull at 115 and then no rest and right to sear to 125? Information overload!!!

Or pull at 115 and then no rest and right to sear to 125? Information overload!!!
Clay I know you've pulled it already, but for folks wanting to learn,
YOU ARE in DENVER, cooking is a little different there.
Your pull rest and sear (115, 140, 130) are about 5 degrees too little
for many flatlanders. We do 120, pull, then up to 135 sear.
its all good anyways.

MIKE "Toast" just texted me and said he burnt the roast to a crisp.
they ordered pizza instead,
he is so bummed he can't reply to this thread.

That's a lie, I just tried to throw a worm in the water to
lure Mike out - no bite !
he is in Beef Oblivion on the couch, I'm sure...

You can't see it in the pictures but the smoke ring was really great. And it looks more overdone in the pictures than it was. Melt in your mouth and the meathead rub was really nice. Wife won't leave me....today...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back