Attempting first rib roast. Ongoing...

I'm seeing a fat cap. Should I trim it?
Yes, trim all the outside cap, so your rub / crust from the sear will be eaten,
not cut away by folks at the table trimming the fat.

WE KNOW that outside fat wont melt into the meat,
only marbled fat inside the meat melts inside the meat.

Last edited:
Can't see the whole roast, but the bones have to go if
the roast has bones, same reason as the fat.
Tie it up to make it as round as possible, will cook more evenly.
Sounds terrible, but I like Substance over Style.
The Standing Rib Roast is gone.
Perfect Rib Roast takes its place.

Last edited:

I will take some more pics tomorrow. I don't care if it's standing, reclining, or in the prone position. It ain't for lookin at it's for eetin. :becky:

My mom cooked briskets like you outline too. I’m still trying to meet or beat that oven brisket. She blackened the crap of it before wrapping it. Loads, I mean loads of pepper! Unbelievable brisket.

I come from a grilling family. Our cookouts were burgers well done and if really lucky Tbones well done. 2 adults 4 kids 3 tbones-shared. Two burgers though with home made pickles garden tomatoes.

As I’ve said before, I like to smoke but prefer the taste of grilled.

Product of my environment

HEB has ribeye roast for $3.97/lb. Select grade, but I'm planning on sous videing them so I don't think it'll make much difference. There's a limit of one, with an additional $10 purchase.

So I took a cooler w/ ice to the store and bought a roast and some beer. And a roast and some beer. And a roast and some beer. Ad nausium. So I'm stocked up on beef and beer for the foreseeable future.

I'm planning on dry brining for at least 36 hours, cold smoking (oak) @ 60F-ish for 3 hours, sous videing @120F for about 10-12 hours, then searing.

How's that plan sound?

I tend to disagree. I think cooking with the bones in greatly enhances the flavor. Lots of folks cut the bones off, then tie the meat back on for the cook. That way, they come off easily for carving.

Bones going to stay in for this one. Will take alittle longer but they do make good heat sinks once they warm up. I do have some precise temp measurement stuff. One probe in the center of each end to hit 120 - 125*F IT. Let rest 20 mins then sear to 130 - 135*F internal.

I still welocme any other input my Friends. What a Great response so far!

250 dome til desired doneness,it is not a steak,no sear required,it is Prime Rib.Rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.That is all.If you MUST have a "sear", use a weedburner or rotate it over some really hot coals,BEFORE roasting it.Anything you pour or paste to the outside will burn during a sear except salt.Just sayin.If you are "adamant" about a sear,salt only,sear,Rest a few minutes,season and Roast.Reverse sear,just burns the coatings and flavors you want to add.Argue if you want to,but I speak the TRUTH!

Bones going to stay in for this one. Will take alittle longer but they do make good heat sinks once they warm up. I do have some precise temp measurement stuff. One probe in the center of each end to hit 120 - 125*F IT. Let rest 20 mins then sear to 130 - 135*F internal.

I still welocme any other input my Friends. What a Great response so far!

this sound solid to me

Looking good Mike!!
You could slice that thing into thick steaks and do a reverse sear on them, but either way that looks to be a great meal. I actually like the fat, so for me, I'd leave it alone and cook it like it is with, like you said, very light seasoning.

Enjoy!!

Bones create uneven cooking temps.
Bones DO NOT add flavor to roasts. (stews, soups, YES)
BONES PREVENT 30% of meat area from getting rubs,
and a delicious crust.
No bones, Tie up your fat trimmed roast to round,
cook evenly.

The first couple prime ribs I did had the bones tied on, it looked real cool, anymore I buy the boneless. Why pay for bones anyway, I like the extra seasoning on the crust, heck the ends are the best tasting part.

I couldn't really tell much difference in the flavor of the ones with the bones and the boneless, but I do look for the small end roasts.

10888498_743458519082021_7176966041612127550_n.jpg

The first couple prime ribs I did had the bones tied on, it looked real cool, anymore I buy the boneless. Why pay for bones anyway, I like the extra seasoning on the crust, heck the ends are the best tasting part.

I couldn't really tell much difference in the flavor of the ones with the bones and the boneless, but I do look for the small end roasts.

Because bone in is 4.77/lb :) I honestly dont notice a difference in taste. I understand that some of the roast doesnt get rub but again were talking about a difference in basically one bite. I try not to overthink it. If I grab one and it has bones, I cook it with bones. If not, well obviously, no bones

As for cooking, cook it as low as you want to desired IT then sear the crap out of it. The lower the better. I usually cook to 115 so I can give it a few seconds longer over flame. Also because the piece is so thick and so little of it actually sees the seasoning feel free to go heavy on the salt.

Back