Assassin Grill Questions/advise

Find out brother and let me know. I'd be interested for sure! I really only want one smoke stack, I may wait for freak to respond before making adjustments.

I have an Assassin 36, BBQ Freak/Jeff and his videos helped out quite a bit. I would also agree with moving the smoke stack to the right. It's a great grill and capable smoker. I've had mine almost 6 months and have cooked several briskets and ribs on it. Good smoke flavor and heat retention. I would opt for the half size charcoal pans with double doors, the full size pan is really heavy. Plus it's less metal to heat up when smoking cause you may just be using 1 pan when you are smoking something short like ribs. I also recommend getting an ash vac, it's a deep cooker and getting that thing really clean can be a chore.

I have seen those ash vacuums.. I did even think about it for this application... when you smoke do you use chunks?

I have seen those ash vacuums.. I did even think about it for this application... when you smoke do you use chunks?

Yes sir, primarily chunks and even some wood chips. I try to have a hot small fire in my maze setup so I get nice clean burn. Smoke level is about on par with a WSM, maybe a tad extra. I got my 36 used (locally) and got a great deal on it, however if I was buying new I definitely would get the 48.

BbqFreak: thanks for the pics, it sure does help with the visuals!
When using the vpan, do you only place the charcoal under the solid part or run it all the way unto slits side as well?
Now I see why you would run it like a offset and only going with the smoke stack at the end. Man you got it down to the amount of charcoal! Now that's due diligence! I might still use my guru till I get the hang of it... or when when I need to do things and can't hang around.., there's a metal shop near my house so I also ask for the same se of pieces of square tubing to create the snake.. was that 2"x2"? How thick metal?
Thanks again bbqfreak. I really appreciate taking time to answer my questions.

I run the snake under the solid part of the v-pan and under the openings but keep the smoking meat on the solid part for the most part unless I am grilling some wings or chicken at the end of the cook through the openings . the tube steel is 2" X 2" X 3/16" thick and have never had it jump the maze with the 2" gap .

I ordered mine with the insulated fire door and 1.5" ball valve, so no pin wheel for me. I've wondered about the smoke stack being in the middle but I would hate to argue with the success people have had so far with the grill. BBQ freak, u turning some good que with that cooker right? Idk if I wanna make too many adjustments. 13 hour burn time with no guru and consistent temps sounds pretty good. I'll be picking mine up in a few weeks, can't wait. Also I asked Jeff to add a side propane burner for me to light my chimney. Hope it turns out good.

I have the ball valve to but had to use it since it dials in real easy and yes it turns out just as good of food as my Shirley .

Last edited:
Freak, do u think that using firebrick for the maze instead of the tube steel would make the fire jump?

And should I move the stack to the far right?

And what if I were to smoke a lot of meat at the same time, would I just have to rotate it since the slots are on one side?

Freak, do u think that using firebrick for the maze instead of the tube steel would make the fire jump?

And should I move the stack to the far right?

And what if I were to smoke a lot of meat at the same time, would I just have to rotate it since the slots are on one side?

I would doubt the fire would jump using the bricks but have never used them though but have some in my garage still unopened . on the stack I do not want to tell anyone what to do for they might not like it but if I did it over again I would and the owner Jeff about it . and on the meat if the snake gets to the holes and is too hot just put some gloves on and flip the v-pan 180 degrees around .

I have a 36 and was have been using fire brick and have had in jump 2 times now. I think it could have to due with the stoker coming on and blasting the air in possibly causing an ember to fly over. Have not had it jump just using the vents.

I use about 2/3 of charcoal tray and start my lit coals toward the guru. The guru on the end with no charcoal. Burning away from the guru to the far end then back towards the guru. Fire bricks down the middle. Seems not to overshoot my temp that way

I used 1/8 x 1/2 wide wood stove door gasket material. Found on eBay I had the best luck with the self adhesive type. Tried 2 types that came with tube of adhesive neither stayed very long.

I would doubt the fire would jump using the bricks but have never used them though but have some in my garage still unopened . on the stack I do not want to tell anyone what to do for they might not like it but if I did it over again I would and the owner Jeff about it . and on the meat if the snake gets to the holes and is too hot just put some gloves on and flip the v-pan 180 degrees around .

I am in the process of ordering an Assassin 48 and I am considering moving the stack to the right. My concern with moving the stack to the right is when I use a long run of fuel the length of the pan in conjunction with the V pan, what kind of temp fluctuation or drop can be expected on the left side, where say a brisket may be?

Part of me wants to pull the trigger and move the stack to the right, but on the other hand, I have read many posts here and seen many pictures of quality product with the stack in the center.

I have to decide soon, as I will be ordering ASAP, since I sent an email to Assassin late Friday evening.

Anyone else have any further thoughts about effects of moving the stack to the right?

Back