THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
I am loyal to Weber.

Everything I have for my Weber BBQ is made by Weber. This includes accessories, thermometers, charcoal chimney starter, char baskets, Grills, slow and sear, grill cleaners, Weber spices. Heck, I even use Weber nonstick grill spray when I’m sure the Pam cooking spray would be just as good. The only non-Weber thing I used was Kingsford charcoal because that’s all I could find. But recently, I’ve acquired Weber charcoal briquettes.

The reason why? Since this summer before getting back into bbqing with charcoal, I always had junk gas grills from Walmart and the like. Yeah, for the first year they would be ok, but they quickly fall apart and rust or burn through. I got tired of having junk.

I've got too many cookers from too many manufacturers to keep up with that. :heh:

But I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been at several points. In my progression of grills I have had:

1. WSM 14
  2. Kamado Joe Big Joe
  3. Weber Gasser
  4. OK Joe Bronco
A tree killed 3/4th of those in what I describe as grillpocolypse & I followed up with

1. Weber Kettle Premium
  2. Humphrey's Battle box
At first I was a Weber guy, then I was an KJ guy, followed by a UDS guy... Now I'm back to a Kettle & Humphrey's guy.

I've eventually learned that there are a lot of great smoker manufacturers out there. At some point its splitting hairs between better and best products. I've learned not to be a homer for a product that isn't paying you to be. There is a level of enthusiasm that's appropriate if you like something though. Support it & give advice, but unless they're paying you you shouldn't be married to it.

TBH I'd be an every grill guy if companies shipped me review grills. There's something great about them all and they're fun to use. Just not enough funds or space to keep them all!

• Thanks
Reactions: mbt
Na, I have a lot of Weber but they do tax you for the name.

I thought the spices we pretty ordinary and see no reason to pay a premium for the name. Same with starter cubes and charcoal. I loaded up on charcoal when it was on sale for $3.97 and loved it. No way I am paying a premium for it now that it is back to normal price.

Really struggling with a 18" WSM or a OK Joe Drum Smoker. Really mostly want it to hang meat.

I do love me some Weber though.

For a cooker??? Not a chance. Now that I think of it, I’m partial to lots of brands of lots of things, but I wouldn’t say I’m brand loyal to any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like the Weber charcoal lighters when they are on sale. Pellets, I usually stick with Lumberjack. Lump I've settled on RO as the most consistent for me, except for now where I'll grab anything that's reasonably priced. For cookers, I have had a large variety from different manufacturers over the years.

There are few brands I really like, Weber is one of them. I try to stink with brands I think are high quality.

I have a bunch of different cookers, but I never hesitate to put in a good word for Hunsaker given the chance. They make a high quality product, they don't try to gouge on the price, and they have excellent customer service. I've never had to test it because the product was great, but I am confident that I would end up on the phone with the owner if I had a serious problem.

I have my favorites for cookers, but not so much for accessories. If I ever feel ripped off, I don’t hesitate to look for alternatives.
That being said, I do have a soft spot for Weber

On gassers it's Weber all the way for me. Got tired after 30 years of buying lesser gassers every 3-4 years and have them rust out. Not limited to Weber but the best Customer Service I've found. And the finish on the charcoal cookers is one you can pass down to the next generation. My stuff is in my sig.

Was reading this thread and said to myself that I'm not brand loyal, what I like is what I lust(ed) for at any given moment. Looked outside at my coral of cookers and found:

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
Weber Genesis II 6 burner gasser (NG)
Weber 22" Original Kettle with cast iron grate (not weber)
18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe

Huh.

When it comes to cookers, the only way to figure out what you like/dislike is to try different things from different builders. The only caveat to that I would say is if you find a builder that you like/trust you can get them to tinker different projects.

No, though I do appreciate quality and service. I think Weber is very good and have been happy with the service side in particular. That said, when I next replace my gasser it will probably be Napoleon or Blaze based on what I’m looking for.

Similar situation with Rectec. (Or now Recteq). At the time I bought my 680 (which didn’t have a name back then because it was their only grill) I believed they were the best bang for the buck choice out there. Their service has been phenomenal, even better than Weber. I think they are still one of the best options out there in terms of quality for the price and I’m more than happy to share that opinion.

That doesn’t mean everyone should buy one. For some, a Pitboss might be the best choice based on what they can afford. For others, they might want to go with a Mak or FEC based on their needs.

I do have some additional level of loyalty to Recteq based on their service and when it’s time to replace my 680 I’ll certainly look at the BFG. But, I’ll see what other options are out there as well.

One last comment. I’m not at all brand loyal when it comes to accessories like rubs etc. in fact, it’s the opposite. I’m sure that the grill companies spend massive energy on getting the grills right. (queue the Smokefire rebuttals) but on the other stuff, I assume they are just licensing someone else’s product. It might be good, or not. I’d rather buy from someone that specializes in that area like Oak ridge or Naturiffic

Last edited:
For cookers? No, not even a little.

For rubs? I'll promote Oakridge, but I will try others. I feel Mike puts out a very good product, and he also supports this site, and I can support a company local to me.

But for power tools, I don't stray from the red. If Milwaukee doesn't make it, I don't need it.

For cookers? No, not even a little.

For rubs? I'll promote Oakridge, but I will try others. I feel Mike puts out a very good product, and he also supports this site, and I can support a company local to me.

But for power tools, I don't stray from the red. If Milwaukee doesn't make it, I don't need it.

Ditto for Oakridge and Mike, but gotta go with big yellow on the power tools.
Got too much money invested to do otherwise!

Last edited:
I always consider function and quality as my primary guide, but that is financially directed at times. If I find a product that does what I need and has a quality of longevity thats where my dollars go.

Back