THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I prefer apple although cherry seems to give a richer smoke ring. It's just a personal preference, I think cherry gives the meat a little too much of a bitter flavor.

For those of you that have tried both, which do you prefer?

Can you describe the difference?

Used Cherry on a brisket, was good just a little strong (might have used a little much) & just used apple on a roaster chicken very good and not overpowering at all (even mixed mesquite in with it)!

I sway in favor of apple I feel it gives the food a sweet consistent flavor as already stated smoke ring is not as good but cherry can sometimes get bitter for my taste both are good woods I use both just more fond of the smooth sweet apple flavor

I go back and forth, so far everything I have bbq with cherry has been great. Not that my cooks with apple were bad by any means. I just prefer cherry

I'll usually use them mixed, 2 chunks apple to 1 cherry. I like the results. Sweet with a nice ring.

I've noticed Cherry does a little better on color, but didn't really know a huge difference in taste over the Apple.

I like using apple and cherry at the same time. I do like using cherry only when I do ribs. I really love the color and the sweet flavors it imparts. I personally haven't noticed any bitterness when I have used either wood.

For those of you that have tried both, which do you prefer?

Can you describe the difference?

I think that apple has a sweeter flavor. I do use a combination of both but I burn mostly Apple. I will throw in some cherry when finishing ribs and for an hour or so before I cover my Brisket and Butts. I do not burn cherry with Chicken, I find it imparts too much smoke flavor.

I would have said apple was my favorite until a few months ago when I tried cherry, now that is my go to for pretty much everything. Rich color, awesome smoke ring and mild smoke flavor are the big wins for me.

I prefer the flavor of apple, but cherry is great for color.

Back