THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BackYardRob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
I see that most BBQ recipes for hot dogs from the 50's involve a bath in BBQ sauce before serving, if not completely cooked in sauce. Does anyone do this? Going to give it a try at some point. I like them all kinds of ways, grilled, flat top, deep fried, boiled, steamed, baked, etc.. Who already uses the 50's method? I imagine a mild BBQ sauce with a touch of brown mustard. BTW: Hard to beat a dirty water dog and charcoal smoked pretzel from a NV street vendor!

Any love for spiral dogs?
wkqNbXP.jpg

I forgot about spiral dogs. I tried them a year or two ago and they were pretty interesting. I used a costco dog, which seemed appropriate. The costco dogs are pretty good, for that style of spiced dog.

My favorite is the Koegel Vienna, cooked to a golden char on the grill.

I make my own dogs and they are delicious however you cook them.
I"m hoping to get started trying my hand at sausage making again....and Hot Dogs are on my short list.

I watched a few videos from the Chud's BBQ guy and think I may use one of his recipes....

Do you have a home made hot dog recipe you would recommend?

Thanks in advance,

C

Here is my base recipe, you may need to adjust spices to tune it in for you.

Hot Dogs:
1 Kg pork
Salt) 15g
Cure #1) 2.5g
Paprika) 3g
White pepper) 2g
Mace) 0.5g
Onion powder) 1g
Gran garlic) 1g
STTP) 4g. (Sodium phosphate)
Ice water 1/4c

Meat can be 80/20 but 70/30 works as well
Grind meat through 1/4” plate mix spices then grind at least once through 1/8” plate or can go twice through 1/8”.

Some folks work in small batches through a food processor to emulsify. Some don’t.
I use a Champion juicer set up for meat and emulsify with it, looks like soft serve ice cream coming out.

Never heard of "50's" style hot dogs....and I'm from the 50"s, lol

We just boiled or grilled them...
I only call them 50's dogs cause I saw them in the "50's BBQ Compendium" I got from this site, really cool! They are most often cooked right in a BBQ sauce, or cooked ahead and dropped in a BBQ bath. The dogs are whole, fork poked, slit cut, cut in half. Don't recall seeing the spiral method there, but doesn't mean it isn't. LOL! I was just wondering if anyone does the BBQ bath gig. I'm still going to try regardless for my own knowledge.

Some folks work in small batches through a food processor to emulsify. Some don’t.
I use a Champion juicer set up for meat and emulsify with it, looks like soft serve ice cream coming out.
1h97gQV.jpg

I fought the emulsification battle for years 🔺, then a German butcher suggested a double fine grind and I've never looked back 🔻.

nFQuSNC.jpg

1h97gQV.jpg

I fought the emulsification battle for years 🔺, then a German butcher suggested a double fine grind and I've never looked back 🔻.

nFQuSNC.jpg
Yes. A few different ways to go about it but yes I also mentioned the double 1/8” grind. I’ve done that and it is satisfactory. Nice looking dogs btw.

I love 'em all kinds of ways. Maybe it's my north Jersey roots, but simple is always best - Simple roll, just a condiment or two, and that "snap" of a dog, like Sabrett's or original Nathan's. It's a friggin hot dog after all. Pass me a couple, and a bottle of beer, and turn up the baseball game.

Back