anyone have a logs spliter I can use? I love CL

davefan360

Take a breath!
this is a nice load of Free hickory I picked up today. I also picked up a nice load of Free apple wood yesterday. ANd the guy where I got the apple wood from has 2 more apple trees that I can have if I ever want. that trailer is a 6x10 with 2ft sides

Attachments

• DSCF7039.jpg
    DSCF7039.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
That looks like shagbark hickory, and you will need a splitter, that is some hard splitting wood and I am talking much smaller rounds then you have there. I don't know the process, but you can make a sweet shagbark syrup from the bark.
Dave

That looks like shagbark hickory, and you will need a splitter, that is some hard splitting wood and I am talking much smaller rounds then you have there. I don't know the process, but you can make a sweet shagbark syrup from the bark.
Dave

Yeah, I got some real hickory syrup at a festival last year. That stuff was awesome.

yes I think I am going to cut them in half then split them. and my buddy's dad just told me that I can use his B.A.L.S. ( big A** LOG SLPITER) if I make him some ribs. I am going to get the other load of apple tomorrow or the next day then maybe this weekend split all the wood I need split.

For the amount you have, a couple of steel wedges and a 6 or 8 lb sledge hammer will do just fine. Really it won't take as long as you think.

You can rent one at Home Depot for a few dollars.
Go ahead and get another load of wood, rent the spliter and sell a load.
Nice score.
jon

Careful, what's the old saying about "eyes bigger that your stomach"? I cook w/ hickory splits in my +/-120g reverse flow. My splits are typically a 1/4 of a 8"-10" log and I'll maybe use 12-15 splits for an 6-8 hour cook. Looks to me like you are getting at least a couple years worth of wood stockpiled if you get the extra apple. That aint a bad thing if you have room to store it.

PS: can we see a shot of the "moron kettle", I'd like to see what color it is.

Careful, what's the old saying about "eyes bigger that your stomach"? I cook w/ hickory splits in my +/-120g reverse flow. My splits are typically a 1/4 of a 8"-10" log and I'll maybe use 12-15 splits for an 6-8 hour cook. Looks to me like you are getting at least a couple years worth of wood stockpiled if you get the extra apple. That aint a bad thing if you have room to store it.

PS: can we see a shot of the "moron kettle", I'd like to see what color it is.

thanks for the info. Can I see a photo of your RF? here is my moron kettle

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 20
Back