THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When in high school back in the 70's I worked for a now defunct bbg chain except for one store in Brownwwod and we cooked on a rotating rack smoker that we keep at a steady 275 and nothing was ever wrapped. My PBC will run between 260 and 290 and we love the food that comes off it.

Ribs, brisket, Chuck, all at 290-325, all moist and juicy on my Big Joe. I have never tried to hold 225. Started higher since my cooker wanted to run that way and have never been disappointed. Well, maybe the first rib cook...350, no deflector = burnt bones. After that everything has had the deflector in and no disappointments. No water pans either. Just the way I learned. Everyone has their own way. Experiment and you'll find your groove.

HNF or LNS. I believe it all depends on the cooker and the way they draw. Too me there is a world of difference between a kettle, wsm, or BGE and cooking with charcoal as opposed to a all wood offset cook.

I leaned to cook on offset/stick burners running the tradition 250 with 260-275 spikes at most. I am way old fashion for me it is SPOG mostly or a good simply rub for brisket, butts, ribs. 250 does produce a good "traditional BBQ" smoke flavor and the taste of the meat come through. At 300-325 on my offset it is like a carb running lean. Too much air and not enough fuel the meat does not retain the smoke flavor or the color I want. It's BBQ but not spot on smoke flavor, to me.

On here there are many who cook on smaller pits at higher temps, charcoal, lump, wood chunks for smoke tons of rub, different injections, that do produce a different flavor to the meat. Higher heat with less smoke and more flavor from the rubs/injections, and sauces.

I think it is kind of like comp. bbq it is really good and different but not what I want eat everyday. Many want that wow factor all of the time. When I buy a pack of baloney I expect it to taste like baloney. Call me old fashioned I guess.

However, thanks to many here I am finding that after 30 some years I am still learning.

when I first built my UDS I was under the impression that I MUST cook between 225-250. I quickly come to realize a few things. First thing being it was my cook, I can cook my way! 2nd, It is ok to cook at 275 and over if needs be. 3rd, I tasted no difference in my ribs or pork butts cooked at 250 or 300.

If I am entertaining, drinking a bunch of beer and wasting time, 250 it is. If I am feeding a herd of people who are going to beat me within an inch of death because they are so dang hungry, no harm at all in the 275-325 range.

Smoke on!

It depends on the cooker, the fuel, the food, and your desired results. Some devices prefer running 275+ and it is not worth fighting them. Some big pieces of meat will take too long at 225. Other times, I think you get better results by being patient and going slow.

I also smoke at 275 to 350. But I do try to stay closer to 275 but I don't stress if it climbs a bit. Works for me and thats what keeps me happy.

Back