THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Weber Q but the 2200 with optional half cast iron flat top. A little speedy but is worth it over buying the cheaper grills.

What about this one ?
Perhaps I am a grill snob. But this is based on experience. I used to work for a gas company that sold grills among other appliances and I got a great discount. I went through several of their grills in 27 years.. Some were nice looking grills but the burners were gone within a couple of years of heavy use. Replacement parts carried no discount. I constantly complained to the purchasing department about the cheap grills. They eventually quit selling appliances altogether and in 2002 I purchased a Weber Genesis and still using it today. I found it mis-marked at Home Depot but they honored the price.

This is a buy once, cry once deal for you. I recommend the three burner grill that Weber offers. Don't know the series numbers but think it is the 310.

Good luck in your search, but there is some good advice here.

Robert

This is what I just bought, it was $80 on sale at BJs.

https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-SH19030819-Tabletop-Stainless/dp/B07NR9G7BC

It is very well constructed. It has one of those "flavor bars" that is nothing but a heat shield. It also has a warming rack and I plan on taking both of them out.

What I like about it is it is ALL stainless steel. So what to do to get the real flavor?

I plan on using a cast iron griddle pan which also has a grill side. That will give the 10,500 BTU burner a heat sink to absorb the heat for real cooking. The fat dripping into the channels on the grill side will give it that "smoke fat" taste. Now for the better taste: I plan on making a smoke box to throw on the side on top of the burner. That is so that when I close the top the smoke will get into to food. At least on longer cooks.

I also like that it uses the small, 1 lb propane tanks you throw away. That to me makes it truly portable.

Good luck.

Necro-thread ...

Hello,
I live in a condo with a patio and so I have no backyard. I cook steak right now in cast iron pan and an electric oven using a technique like this. It tastes ok but when I cook steak it fills the whole house with smoke. I also wanted to cook pork chops and grill chicken. I have an electric grill. I was wondering if buying a propane grill for a single person will make any difference to the taste of food vs cooking it in an electric oven? Any recommendations as to what propane grill because that is all that my community management will allow.

First, cast iron skillet steaks can be super yummy. If you are getting a ton of smoke, you are cooking TOO HOT! Take your time and think low and slow. :thumb:

On the stovetop over medium heat, let the skillet heat up to temperature. Toss a good dollop of real butter in there. If it burns or smokes, your pan is too hot. Now add some herbs, in my case fresh Rosemary from the backyard and your steak lightly salted. Let it sit there for 8~12 minutes and DON'T TOUCH IT! As it gently sizzles every minute or so, tilt the skillet and spoon butter over the steak. Now flip it (it should lift easily and be browned on the bottom). Repeat the same 8~12 minutes and spooning. Now place the steak on a cutting board and wait at least 5 minutes before you poke it with a fork and slice it with a knife, though 10 minutes is better. Again, if your getting a lot of smoke, turn the temperature down and add time!

This technique works really well with a well-marbled (fatty) T-Bone or similar steak. If it is super thick, finish it in the oven at low temperature (~300F) and probe with a thermometer to your preferred doneness (the Thermoworks probes with temperature alerts-beeps works really well with the oven finish).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Weber is great grills. I have one in my backyard. But for traveling I would like to buy a small grill. And I am interested to know about other firms too. Does anyone here have experience using other small grills?

For my money, the Weber Go-Anywhere is where I would look though, a small ~$25 Hibachi from Lowes is hard to beat if a coffee can of charcoal isn't too much to bring along.

I have the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 Tru-Infared and love it. Small enough to fit on a shelf in the garage when not in use and can fit 5-6 chicken breasts on it.

Another vote for the Weber Q1200. I have cooked hundreds of times on mine and I love it.
Check out the fire escape griller youtube. Its amazing what he can do with his little BabyQ.

Back