THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
Anyone ever cooked it before? It's a little under 4 hours from home so I am thinking about doing it. I did one amateur comp that we got slaughtered at and there hasn't been anything near us at all since may 10. We probably will lose but heck we need the experience and it is not until mid October. I think we have time to get ready and do it. I know after getting our you know what's kicked we probably shouldn't throw our hats in the ring but I am itching to get back up and throw down. Plus some new sauces from big poppa smokers have got me thinking we can get great results. We finally got that nice shiny red color on our ribs and I think that will make all the difference in the world in appearance next week I am going to hopefully post more rib box pictures. See what you guys think but right now just focussing on cooking well and getting the color. I think we have a winning combo of rubs and sauces. We have gone to using commercial products for now. I was amazed at the appearance of the product just from switching to a commercial sauce. I wish I would have got pics but I ate them all before I got pics. No shine on my old homemade sauce to really shiny. Any thoughts on this competition? I also am thinking about doing the river grill before the chill in cincinatti ohio in the amateur division. Any thoughts on that one? Hopefully we can be ready for both once October hits.

We really liked it. Imagine a small Ohio town blocking off most of its streets and filling them w/ smokers, canopies, and boisterous team activity. How can you not like it! Organizers have been doing it awhile and have it down pretty well. Come on down!

I am getting my feet wet at the one in Cincy. Been doing this for a while and figure there is only one way to know how I would do so I figure no harm in throwing my hat in the ring and see what happens.

Plan on attending the Nelsonville show, but doubt I cook at that one. These $300+ entrance fees add up fast...

Nelsonville is a well organized & run competition that makes the cooks feel like they are the show and not a necessary evil. The teams that show up are from all over and will go out of their way to help & mentor if they know you want the guidance. All you have to do is ask!! Heck, it was even my ticket to the Jack one of the years that I cooked it.

Nelsonville is a great little town. Comps like this in small towns are one of the reasons I love doing competitions. Go for it.

I am getting my feet wet at the one in Cincy. Been doing this for a while and figure there is only one way to know how I would do so I figure no harm in throwing my hat in the ring and see what happens.

Plan on attending the Nelsonville show, but doubt I cook at that one. These $300+ entrance fees add up fast...

Good luck.

The entry fee for the Cinci comp is high compared to others, but there payout is higher. Looking through the information on it, they are also a lot more restrictive compared to most comps.

Is there anyone cooking at any of the Ohio shows that wouldnt mind me and my buddy stopping over and watching what and how you get ready and cook at these? Just looking for a little advice and mentoring before we are thrown in with the wolves at the Cincy show.

Thanks

Tom

Had a great time there. Well run. Little chilly that time of year but no bigs.

I've been there multiple times, it has gotten down to 28 and snow flurries at night, rainy several times, gusty winds, and nice and sunny.

It's a little under 4 hours from home so I am thinking about doing it. I did one amateur comp that we got slaughtered at and there hasn't been anything near us at all since may 10.

The Warren comp is about 2 hours from you, but it's in July. Nice comp, great location, and doesn't attract alot of teams. Might be a good comp to get your feet wet.

We've cooked Nelsonville before, nice location, but since we got our arses handed to us in 4 Ohio comps, we stay east of the state line.

The Warren comp is about 2 hours from you, but it's in July. Nice comp, great location, and doesn't attract alot of teams. Might be a good comp to get your feet wet.

We've cooked Nelsonville before, nice location, but since we got our arses handed to us in 4 Ohio comps, we stay east of the state line.

Got any info on this?

Good luck.

The entry fee for the Cinci comp is high compared to others, but there payout is higher. Looking through the information on it, they are also a lot more restrictive compared to most comps.

Looked at this one and with the high entry fee and restrictions, decided to pass. Unfortunate as it's fairly close for me but just doesn't seem cooker friendly.

I believe it is actually being run by the city which explains the restrictions. The contact person has a .gov email address.

Looks like it about 4.5 hours away...I think its a little too far for my first one..

They went to MIM. And think this will be this. Didn't want to hear what anyone had to say. Not cooker friendly more for the money they can make of it

I believe it is actually being run by the city which explains the restrictions. The contact person has a .gov email address.

Good luck.

Nelsonville has $10k in payouts. Cincinnati has over $23k in payouts. I expect there to be some tough competition in Cincinnati.

Back