Any advice on a new insulated vertical smoker?

Do you own one? I would sure like more feedback.

Not yet--- but soon. I have looked at it and seen it cooking. I am sure you can get some customer references if you call.

I looked at some others but have some concern about grease fires and clean up. This unit has reverse flow, and an isolation plate for the firebox to prevent such a fire and is well made.

I'm sold on it, but please,check it out and let me know what you think?

Not yet--- but soon. I have looked at it and seen it cooking. I am sure you can get some customer references if you call.

I looked at some others but have some concern about grease fires and clean up. This unit has reverse flow, and an isolation plate for the firebox to prevent such a fire and is well made.

I'm sold on it, but please,check it out and let me know what you think?
Does the guy have a web site, or does he just sell on Craig's List?

Do you own one? I would sure like more feedback.

This guy has had a few different builds on CL and also posted in the PNWBA site. Just from reading his ads, it sounds like he's done his homework and taken nods from Backwoods and Humphreys to fit his style.

That said, I have a Backwoods Gater, its kind of like the Fatboy, but it has larger grates to hold full size pans, 2" insulation, removable waterpan and stainless steel doors standard.

This was out of the crate, I added Harbor Freight casters to the frame. I think its supposed to weigh @ 300 lbs and it cost $450 crating and shipping to Bothell, WA.

I had a custom cart built for it and with casters it added @ another hundred pounds to the tank.

So, when I use it for comps, I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a ramp and I can muscle it up myself if I have to, but ideally its a 2 person job.

I think Family Man BBQ here bought a Humphreys and he's out near me, maybe he'll chime in on that side.

Concerning trailering a big cabinet smoker... I'm looking at that issue myself. I can barely get my Stumps XL Baby up the ramp by myself without having a nervous breakdown. I don't even think about getting my Classic Stump on a trailer by myself. I'm thinking either a remote control ATV winch.. but just saw this at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html

It seems like something like this could be a very manageable and safe way to get the smoker up on the trailer. I'm gonna investigate these sort of lift apparatus options.

I'm in a similar situation and I've become a tad obsessed with the 270 smokers line. For me the capacity, footprint, built in wheels, weight and price seem like a seriously great option.

After the experience I just had using the 270 at the royal, I woul say for the money you can't go wrong. Super easy to use, solid as a rock functionality, and transport is easy as well. I hauled that baby over a 1/4 mile hoofin it all the way up hill to my site..ha ha.

Back