THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

huskerfan1200

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Todd
Need to calm my nerves a bit as this cook will be for my fellow teachers (50+) on our last day before holiday break. Potluck style.

Prepping the roast tonight. Cook starts in the morning. Serve at 11am. Will be around 30* outside temperature in morning.

22# prime rib that I'll cut in half so as it expedite cook time and make handling easier.

Rub it with SPOG and possibly a paste that I've seen others from here use in their cooks. KISS

I'll use the UDS with hardwood lump and a couple pecan chunks, maybe oak.

Plan is to go low (225* or so) until 105* internal. Take them off, foil tent and rest. Open the UDS wide and get it as hot as possible. Return roasts to sear/finish for about 10-15 minutes and bring to 120* internal. Rest again. Serve.

I've know what I want to do and how I want to do it. My biggest question is when do I start cooking? I've read all the threads on here, all the info on Serious Eats and multiple other sources. I know I'm not going to cook by time but rather internal temp. I just don't want it to be done to soon, or worse yet, too late...(as soon as we are done eating, we are free to leave on our holiday break!)

So, my question to the Brethen, when would you start cooking? :grin:

Couple of things. First, cutting in half won't change the cook time as you aren't reducing the thickness of the loin, just it's length.

Second, 120* finish IT is going to be very, very rare. I'm talking barely a warm red. Would help to know how you want it cooked doneness wise, specifically, the color. Personally, I take mine to about 127 / 9, pull it out, let it sit for a bit to start ramping down, then sear it.

I agree with Demo. But I pull a little earlier, 117, 118.
Then I would have a Kettle fired up full blast, as my UDS will never get hot enough.
But, if yours does, OK. But I doubt it.
I DO like you having 2 pieces, more bark, more well done-ish meat for losers.
I would light the fire at 3:45 AM to answer your question.
About 30-5 minutes to settle at 225. Then on with the meat, with the probe inserted, do not open the lid.

Last edited:
AND - you don't need a second rest. Just start slicing after the sear.
This will turn out excellent. Now go to bed.
HAVE YOU SALTED YOUR ROAST???? DO so.
1/4 Tbspn / lb of Kosher Salt

Since you are in Minnesota, I would probably slice it in half, salt it, and leave that beast out on the countertop before you go to bed. Unless your house is super warm.
Mine is about 60 degrees..

I'd start it about 5 hours before you plan to serve it. That should be more than enough time. Have a probe to monitor. If it's going too slow at the 3 hour mark, raise the heat a bit. While 220 is great, 250ish won't hurt it a bit. If it's going too fast and will be done way too soon, either reduce the heat, or pull it off fit 30 mins then put back on.

If done about an hour early or less, pull and let it sit for 10 mins then wrap in foil. It will hold for an hour

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thanks all...

Seems like I should get to bed now. Both roasts are seasoned and wrapped in the fridge.

Making a red wine and oxtail jus that will catch some drippings.

Early morning for me.

Cheers and happy holidays to all.

Good luck on the cook.

Here's something to hopefully calm your nerves a bit. Even though it's an expensive piece of meat, don't sweat it as this is one of the easiest smokes you can do. 1. Season meat,

2. put in smoker,

3. monitor temp,

4 slow it down or speed it up by adjusting chamber temp if need be and

5 pull it when you hit your target temp.
6. Rest then sear if you choose to.

Seriously, by the time you are done, you'll be saying "Damn, that was simple and easy".

It's going to take less than four hours unless you are compelled to look at it every five minutes (not recommended). You will be surprised at how nice a color you will get from cooking at 225 to 250 degrees for that time frame. You can rest this for two hours with no problem, so start early, drink some coffee, and post copious pictures of your perfect cook! They are going to love it so just relax with your game plan.

120 final IT will be very rare. I like to smoke at 250 to 115-120 IT, rest for 15 to 20 minutes covered, and then sear it over hot coals. Once its seared, there's no need for an additional rest.

I cook mine at 200°. Giving yourself 5 hours is not a bad idea. I would cook to 125° IT, wrap tightly with foil/towel/throw in cooler for 20 minutes. You'll end up around 130°, which is a perfect temp for prime rib. You'll end up with something like this:

JLEa8nLl.jpg

If you pull at 120° it is going to be too rare IMO, and I like rare stuff.

I cook mine at 200°. Giving yourself 5 hours is not a bad idea. I would cook to 125° IT, wrap tightly with foil/towel/throw in cooler for 20 minutes. You'll end up around 130°, which is a perfect temp for prime rib. You'll end up with something like this:

JLEa8nLl.jpg

If you pull at 120° it is going to be too rare IMO, and I like rare stuff.

I also aim for 130 as the final internal temp. for steaks I can go 125 or even a little less but I like roasts a little higher.

You'll do fine. Although, esp given you're taking this into fellow co-workers who likely don't prefer rare steak...I highly highly recommend taking it up to 130 in center.

I sous vide at 129 for a whole day, then crust in my blackstone pizza oven for 5 minutes at like 800 degrees.

I agree on the increased IT up to 130*. That's where they are heading toward now. Based on the thickness of one, it will have slightly higher temps...which will be good option for those who like it that way.

Got a good early start and have them rolling between 200*-220*. They are about ready to come off for a rest.

Timing things out for the rest, sear and travel, I should have ready right on time.

Thanks all and Happy Friday.

I agree on the increased IT up to 130*. That's where they are heading toward now. Based on the thickness of one, it will have slightly higher temps...which will be good option for those who like it that way.

Keep in mind that the ends of the roast are going to be naturally more done. Since it's now two roasts, you'll have 4 slices of reasonably cooked-through meat. Maybe that might be enough? Just something to think about. :rolleyes:

Along with the end cuts, if you have a hot au jus, if someone wants their's done more, carve a slice and simply drop it in the au jus bath to steep for a bit. You can take a midrare cut all the way up to well done this way, if need be.

Alternatively, you could always apply heat to a slice in some other way, whether it's back onto the smoker, in a pan, in an oven, hell, even a blow torch.

Long story short, don't overcook the entire roast just to make a couple of people happy. Cook it to midrare to medium and fix their's if need be.

I have a question for folks regarding the fat. What do you recommend for smoking, remove it, or trim it up? First shot at cooking one of these tasty dudes.

Back