Another Cool Deal For Sam's Club Comps

So if I'm reading this correct.

I could win wings, but nothing in Que and have to drive 852 miles to Missouri for the Regional which would cost me another $250 entry fee, just to cook wings?

Wash, Rinse, Repeat for Bentonville?

Wow! Doesn't anyone enter a contest for fun and bragging rights any more?

Yup, thats why we BBQ.

but

they are asking you to give up all rights to your intellectual property that will make them $$$$ for next to nothing for you. We have won 6 first place trophys for our wings, we wouldn't give up the recipe, and we are a team that only cooks for fun.

Isnt this like the the true bbq mans motto
Dont give up the secrets, no matter what..

we hide our spices, sauces, techniques, garnish like it was the
code to launch nuclear missiles. Its about the mystique to finding the golden recipe or spice concoction that launches us to win all categories, contests, GC's like an unstoppable machine

I think its in are blood to be protective of any recipe, no matter what the profit.

You watch bbq on tv shows, they throw out a few basic spice patterns everyone uses, then say "we got are own batch of secrets spices that we wont tell"...thats who we are, everyone looking for the holy grail recipe.

so no matter what side of the fence your on this...its fun to discuss:blabla:

So you don't think Danny would want to cook wings for is in B'ham? I would think the wing comepitition near Buffalo would be stout anyway.

dmp

I sent him the email, we weren't entered in the Sams series...but if he wants in we will enter. I don't see him giving up the recipe, he wins too much with it.

People were saying the same thing about the Reser's potato salad deal last year, as if their potato salad recipe were the only asset they had in the world and people were lining up for it.

Hell, nobody else volunteered to give me $700 for a recipe that wasn't one of the four meat categories, and I was happy to take it. In fact, the recipe and dessert entries paid the expenses of that contest.

We can turn anything in to a terrible idea, can't we?

The idea is what it is, no one can turn it into something terrible or great. It is an individual judgement.

However everyone should enter into this with their eyes wide open.

7. Recipe Ownership. Winning teams will be required to submit their recipe and ownership of the recipe to Tyson to determine Overall Best Wing on the Planet Winners. By entering, each Entrant forever and irrevocably releases the ownership of their recipe to Tyson Foods, Inc. Tyson Foods, Inc. will have all rights to produce and market the winning recipes for profit.

If you win a local competition, you hand them your recipe and they hand you $200 and they now own the recipe completely and you don't.

If $200 for this sounds great to you, then it is a great idea!

If $200 for this sounds terrible to you, then it is a terrible idea.

Yeah, you might win $8K, but you sold the recipe and all rights to it for $200.

Did anyone see an area that says the limitations on cooking methods? It doesn't seem to say if you have to adhere to the kcbs approved cooking methods.

Speaking solely for myself, and not KCBS or the board....

I think a lot of people looking at this are probably a little shortsighted about this.

Maybe your wing recipe is THAT GOOD! Even if it is, do you have the capital or ability to realistically get it into production? It may be worth a fortune, but it would take another fortune to buy the exposure that could come from winning this event.

If you win, and are prepared when that product goes out you have the opportunity to leverage that exposure to get a deal that pays some serious money....IF YOU ARE PREPARED. If I was entered and had the ultimate wing recipe, I'd be busting my butt to develop a second one that is almost as good that could win and go with that. Tyson still gets a great product, and you aren't selling your retirement fund.

This is an opportunity, nothing more, and nothing less. It's what the individual chooses to make of it.

Jorge you are absolutely right. But for some reason, folks seem to fear the "large evil empire" and portray them as an enemy. I wish our team had a killer wing recipe, but we do not. However, we have 23 days to try to develop one. Might attempt a few practice cooks between now an then and hope for the best. If it works, yippe, if not, oh well.

Robert

Anybody want to cook wings for me on Saturday. Have an fe you can use. It's under my team name but you buy the wings and you get the money.

I think a lot of people looking at this are probably a little shortsighted about this.

Maybe your wing recipe is THAT GOOD! Even if it is, do you have the capital or ability to realistically get it into production? It may be worth a fortune, but it would take another fortune to buy the exposure that could come from winning this event.

If you win, and are prepared when that product goes out you have the opportunity to leverage that exposure to get a deal that pays some serious money....IF YOU ARE PREPARED. If I was entered and had the ultimate wing recipe, I'd be busting my butt to develop a second one that is almost as good that could win and go with that. Tyson still gets a great product, and you aren't selling your retirement fund.

This is an opportunity, nothing more, and nothing less. It's what the individual chooses to make of it.

i can get on board with that.

Yes it can be an oppurtunity, but you also have to consider what you're giving up. My IP guy was just here on another matter and we talked a little about these types of "contests". Typically the contract you have to sign on "winning" is considerably more limiting that what you give up when you enter. The winner is usually prohibited from using the carrier company (in this case Tyson's ) in any marketing or advertizing for the winner. So you would most likely be prohibited from marketing wing#2 recipe as "created by the winner of the Tyson's World's best wing contest" without having to pay some kind of royalty to Tyson's.

Your last paragraph is absolutely true, just make sure you look at all the angles.

Yes it can be an oppurtunity, but you also have to consider what you're giving up. My IP guy was just here on another matter and we talked a little about these types of "contests". Typically the contract you have to sign on "winning" is considerably more limiting that what you give up when you enter. The winner is usually prohibited from using the carrier company (in this case Tyson's ) in any marketing or advertizing for the winner. So you would most likely be prohibited from marketing wing#2 recipe as "created by the winner of the Tyson's World's best wing contest" without having to pay some kind of royalty to Tyson's.

Your last paragraph is absolutely true, just make sure you look at all the angles.

Agreed.

Anybody have any clarification on this part of rule 6?

All entries must include an original chicken wing recipe. All Entrants will be required to sign a waiver verifying that their chicken wing recipe is original. Any recipes found that are not original will be disqualified from the Contest and prize money. The standard KCBS box will be used for this category. Garnish is prohibited.

They don't have a definition of recipe here? Is it Smokin Guns, smoke, and Sweet Baby Ray's or this is how you make the rub, this is how you make the sauce, and this is how you cook them?

rec·i·pe/ˈresəˌpē/
Noun:
A set of instructions for preparing a particular dish, including a list of the ingredients required.
Something which is likely to lead to a particular outcome: "sky-high interest rates are a recipe for disaster".

Anybody have any clarification on this part of rule 6?

They don't have a definition of recipe here? Is it Smokin Guns, smoke, and Sweet Baby Ray's or this is how you make the rub, this is how you make the sauce, and this is how you cook them?

No commercial rubs or sauces are allowed

Back