THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lankster35

Take a breath!
Well my two butts are off and running this morning sprinkled with a generous portion of Modified Mikes Magic dust.

Thought I would bring up the discussion of temp variances between the grate level and pit thermometer level. I use TruTel with a 4 inch probe on my pit and a Maverick wireless both which are accurate. If the TruTel reads 250 then the grate is normally 25-35 degrees less and I only bring this up so if you hold a steady 250 on the pit thermometer for smoking you might only be cooking at 225 (maybe less on the grate). Not a big deal but something to keep in mind and don't worry if your pit temp swings up higher. This might not apply to those of you cooking at 350 degrees already :). I try to hold my grate at 250 and let the pit temp read 275.

Going to be a great day in Arlington.

Last edited:
Pretty taste. Did one of the Mustard Vinegar sauces from the Pork Sauce link that has been circulating around on here and I like it more than the one I had been using.

Mustard Vinegar Sauce
(not quite enough for two butts, I double it and saved some)

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or just a couple shakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1 Teaspoon Valentina Sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Back