American Royal

This will be are first time at the royal as a team. The price going up sucks but we did not pay it last year so it dose not hurt so bad. We were there with KC Bobby and Don ( thanks again guys) and we had a blast. Its not that much money for 4 days of hanging out and getting to meet/talk to all of you guys. We can't wait! If you don't want to pay the money I hope you all atleast come down.

2009 map
http://www.arbbq.com/images/map.pdf

Just got a phone call from one of the workers. He couldn't get us into Lot B ... but he could get us into Lot C ... which is right beside turn ins!

That will be a good place to be that close to judging. And, you'll get to watch all the pretty girls going to, and from, the parties on the dark side. :wink:

We'll be back at B-739 where we've been several years in a row.

Pretty steep cost for sure, but the way I'm looking at it is....who knows, might not be invited to this dance again and want to experience it. Plus, hoping to put some faces to names and meet and see some folks I might not otherwise have an opportunity too.

I will be there with the other team that I help out.... so, better watch out....

We dont have an invite yet, But i signed my team up for the invitational.

not sure.. but since were not in the invitational, I think i heard voices tell me theres a possibility of a Brethren bash taking place in spot 928. :)

We have the invite, and since this is the first time, we are doing the invitational as well. So, a long weekend of cooking for us....

See ya all there.

We need to make a list of who is going to be there so we don't miss anybody....

Last edited:
We are moving out of the Darkside... Going from a 40x125 spot to a 40x75.
We too are going to be in Lot C, Bobby. there were a couple H spots in the B Lot that I believe were going to open up this year, but I think C will be better for us... And being right across from turn-in can't hurt. :)

Cool. I think C has its pros and cons

Pro's - away from the masses of people, close to turn ins, easy to get to either Lots A or B, protection from winds from the west, very short walk to real restrooms

Con's - away from the masses of people, close to train tracks

We are doing both contests and asked for Lot B...haven't heard anything back from them after I submitted the application. Anyone know when we will know which spot we got?

First year for us and we are really looking forward to it. This is the first I had heard of the Fire Dept fees, they must tell you that after they have your first $500-$900?

If I had the money to go to the Royal I would. Sure it's a lot of jack, but part of the trip for a rookie like me would be the opportunity to connect with such a wide variety of cookers. Where else can you go to find so many great teams in one place? I'm already "out" money everytime I compete because I'm not in the position yet (skill wise) to win my money back. But I go because the event itself and the atmosphere is worth the money. I see the excitement of something like the Royal increasing in multiples - I suppose it makes since that the entry fees do as well.
Monty, you should go down on Friday and just take it in and see what it's like and meet people. I did that last year and had a pretty good time.

In my opinion I believe that the American Royal is what competition BBQ is all about. Those folks do a great job of putting on a contest that is known world wide like Memphis in May. I dont care if its the open or the invatational if you win it it means something. It means something just to be there and not just get lucky to get your name drawn out of a hat. I agree with Dr. BBQ on this one. Just kind of like the Cabellas deal. As long as people keep dog cussing them one of these days it will go away. Then set at home and complain to each other on internet. It is the Superbowl and World Series not a goat roping or pig burning.

Well said Rev, see ya there.

But to me, it's even more. This event is Kansas City. It could be argued that it's the most celebrated annual event in my hometown. People of all backgrounds come down and join in on some fun.

I compare it to the USGA Open of golf as it's open to anyone who wants to play along, where the Jack Daniels is the Masters.

Last edited:
I'm simply referring the the number of teams that this event can draw from. Like the Lenexa BBQ Battle, every Tom, Dick and Harry come out from their patio to set up camp. Not implying that it's bad or good - but it is what it is.

Sure it puts a huge dent into the BBQ account, but I'm excited about it. Don and I are doing some vending at a decent size event next weekend and profits should pay for a huge chuck of the Royal weekend.

I like your attitude, Bobby. :eusa_clap Bravo.

Magical things happen at the Royal. Our first year there in 2005, we had cooked like a total of 12 contests during our first year. Notta a clue yet on what it takes to do well, very little experience. So we go to the open awards happy we got all 4 turned in. They get to the brisket calls and we are anxious to just get it over and to leave and find out how we may have finished overall the next day.
Then, this announcer says, "and the Second Best Brisket In The World, Ribs 4 U !"" So, Eric's wife tried to get his attention and mine, said Hey, that's you guys! We were stunned is the only way I can put it. Unbelievable, we went down and stood in front of that huge crowd, and got our prize. A moment that will never be forgotten.
So friends, that is what the Royal can be like, if you're lucky and cook decent, heavy on the LUCK!,,,,,,:icon_wink

For six years, we avoided the AMR. Why? Because we were crazy!!! We always said, "We'll go when they invite us." Well, that didn't happen, and we missed out on one of the greatest experiences in BBQ. It is larger than life.

That's a great story, Greg! 2005 was also our first year except we STARTED with the Royal. The contest itself and what it is, I do not have a problem with. While there, I've almost always enjoyed myself... not so much the crap on the dark side in '05 (wasn't prepared for what I saw and experienced!). I cooked with the Meatheads in 2007 and got 12th in chicken. That was special to get to go down there with everyone and my daughter went with me to get our ribbon. I'm not sure I've seen Wayne so pumped as when we got the call! Last year, we cooked the invitational and while we didn't do so well there, we took 24th overall in the open, a damned good accomplishment! We've also met many folks there we'd never get to meet otherwise at comps. Maybe what hacks me off is that the people who RUN the Royal are pricing me out of the opportunity to have those kinds of experiences.... to get great calls and meet friends.

We'll be back in 876 for the Invite and Open.

Very expensive weekend, I agree. But if I was only to do 1 contest a year, it would be the Royal. No other contest has such a diverse set of top teams from all over the country. Its like the Masters and US Open all in the same weekend. I also love two contests back to back... nothing like working for quick redemption when you screw something up in the first contest.

The new and improved award ceremony of the past few years is one of the best. I'm not usually sentimental about such things but when sitting in the rodeo with all the cooks during the national anthem it makes me think, damn I'm glad to be an American.

Great parties, and unlike the other "Majors" the Royal has good judging... mostly CBJ. Love the Jack too but gotta tell you the judging can be tough.

I think Randy nailed it above, the Royal is what Comp BBQ is all about

Back