American Royal

Some of the largest sites actually went down in price...
In stead of having the price per sq. ft. increase exponentially with size, they moved to a "one price" per sq. ft. model this year....

Don't remember what size I figured the break even at in Jan. but our spot went down in price.

The price for my spot increased $180. They "rounded" up the spot sizes. So they incresed my spot by 80 square foot & thus increased the price. I better drop this conversation, the more I think about it, the more angry I get! Steve

Needless to say, we don't care for the price increase either but it's a simple rule of supply and demand. I noticed the prize money per category was also boosted a little bit.

Supply and demand? Have you not counted the number of BBQ contests being sanctioned in 2009 with a lot better odds at winning money? I could enter about three to four of those events for what it would take to play at the Royal for three days.

Why beat up on them in a place where they'll never hear you? Therapy I guess but I figure I'll either send in the $900 if i think it's worth it (and I do) or I'll not send it in and do something else that weekend.

Supply and demand? Have you not counted the number of BBQ contests being sanctioned in 2009 with a lot better odds at winning money? I could enter about three to four of those events for what it would take to play at the Royal for three days.

I'm willing to bet you will be shaving thighs somewhere on the grounds that weekend.......

Why beat up on them in a place where they'll never hear you? Therapy I guess but I figure I'll either send in the $900 if i think it's worth it (and I do) or I'll not send it in and do something else that weekend.

That does explain the avatar:p:mrgreen:

I don't need for them to hear me, Ray. It wouldn't do any good in the first place. For my "BBQ buck bang", the Royal makes no sense (unless I get a huge sponsor to pay for it all) but just a hunch here - your BBQ budget is slightly different than what mine is! :lol::wink:

Yeah but I went when it wasn't because I understood the value.

BTW, nobody gave me a farking thing.

I'm simply referring the the number of teams that this event can draw from. Like the Lenexa BBQ Battle, every Tom, Dick and Harry come out from their patio to set up camp. Not implying that it's bad or good - but it is what it is.

Sure it puts a huge dent into the BBQ account, but I'm excited about it. Don and I are doing some vending at a decent size event next weekend and profits should pay for a huge chuck of the Royal weekend.

Yeah but I went when it wasn't because I understood the value.

BTW, nobody gave me a farking thing.

As did I once about four or five years ago. I suppose I missed the value in it myself, which each person has to determine on their own. No one gave me anything then either... except letting me use a trailer for free to pull my stuff down there. I'm probably also somewhat influenced in my thinking on this because I'm the guy who speaks up when quiet hours aren't enforced at a 30 team contest. :lol:

Trust me... They hear.... But they also don't care. They will get new cooks, as that is what I was told...

That's good Jorge... I can even laugh at that one...

I learned to type with duct tape on my thumbs though.... :icon_shy

I do want folks to know that I think nothing but the best of the Royal... My bad experience were the 2 folks that run the thing. Personally, I think it might be ranked in my top 5 contests that I have gone too... My experiences after the contests is what has soured me...

This is our first year going and I'm exicited about it. Considering other comps will cost $200 to enter, that extra cash to do one of the biggest, if not the biggest, contest in the country is worth it in my opinion.

This is our first year going and I'm exicited about it. Considering other comps will cost $200 to enter, that extra cash to do one of the biggest, if not the biggest, contest in the country is worth it in my opinion.

It's a special contest. The Jack is probably the most exclusive, and that contributes to what makes it so special without question. At the Royal your entry is free if you've qualified and you get to compete with the 100 or so cooks that choose to show up. The following day you get to do it again with most of those cooks, and another 300 or so cooks that want a shot at the prize. It doesn't get better than that, in my mind, if you are a competitor. Nobody is excluded, and everybody has a chance. That's special!

2 1/2 months away, and I'm already getting excited.

If I had the money to go to the Royal I would. Sure it's a lot of jack, but part of the trip for a rookie like me would be the opportunity to connect with such a wide variety of cookers. Where else can you go to find so many great teams in one place? I'm already "out" money everytime I compete because I'm not in the position yet (skill wise) to win my money back. But I go because the event itself and the atmosphere is worth the money. I see the excitement of something like the Royal increasing in multiples - I suppose it makes since that the entry fees do as well.

It's a special contest. The Jack is probably the most exclusive, and that contributes to what makes it so special without question. At the Royal your entry is free if you've qualified and you get to compete with the 100 or so cooks that choose to show up. The following day you get to do it again with most of those cooks, and another 300 or so cooks that want a shot at the prize. It doesn't get better than that, in my mind, if you are a competitor. Nobody is excluded, and everybody has a chance. That's special!

2 1/2 months away, and I'm already getting excited.

Yeah the way I explain it to my family and friends who don't live in this world is that the Royal is the World Series of BBQ, while the Jack is the Superbowl of BBQ.

We can't wait! :p:p:p

Back