American Royal -- will this make cooks happy?

Okie Sawbones

Banned
NOT said in a snotty way; I would like a honest opinion. If not, what would make you happy? I'll start by saying I don't like, 'How many KCBS competitions have you judged?' I have a number of PNWBA judgings, and they are virtually identical to KCBS, except PNWBA has a 10 on the scorecard. I can't speak for other competitions, but I don't see any one organization holding the definitive criteria for judging. I support KCBS and enjoy their events, but I can say the same thing for PNWBA. Otherwise, I like what the Royal is doing.

NEW SEATING PROCEDURES:
New this year, we will pre-assign all confirmed judges. We will be working with KCBS on this to pre-assign each individual that will be judging and TC per table. The goal for this is to enhance the check in and seating procedures for judges and also, to ensure that we have balanced tables.
For this, we need your help. Below is a link that we are asking each judge to go in, find you name from the drop down list and please tell us the number of KCBS competitions you have judged. Do not count the 2017 American Royal World Series of Barbecue in your number. Please complete this by Friday, 8/4/2017.
We will take this information to determine the pre-set tables. When you arrive on site, you will be given a table number and a seat number upon arrival. Specific location of check in will be provided at a later date.

Hey Untraceable,

Comparing last year's alpha list with this year's, I make it roughly 175 teams less
this year. And the site map I have seen for this year looks like more room and better
layout with fewer dead end roads. Lookin' forward to seeing you there.

Okie,
Not to ignore your OP - I am an organizer, not a cook and have preseated our judges for several years.
As a previous AR Open judge, what they are trying to do is commendable and will be an improvement over previous years. Remember Arrowhead with one room of judges and one room for Invitational side? Previously there was very little done in the way of sorting
judges at sign in- kinda understandable with the big number of judges needed.
Really good to see them making an effort to do that this year.

Okie,
Not to ignore your OP - I am an organizer, not a cook and have preseated our judges for several years.
As a previous AR Open judge, what they are trying to do is commendable and will be an improvement over previous years. Remember Arrowhead with one room of judges and one room for Invitational side? Previously there was very little done in the way of sorting
judges at sign in- kinda understandable with the big number of judges needed.
Really good to see them making an effort to do that this year.

I agree. I don't know how it can be any more fair. What puzzled me initially was most events I attend in TX, OK, AR, and LA already preseat judges. The organizer/rep has dealt with spreading out the newbies and the masters. But I have had PMs saying it isn't that way in many areas.

So the Royal is to be commended, but so are the organizers/reps who have been doing this for some time now in their areas.

I agree. I don't know how it can be any more fair. What puzzled me initially was most events I attend in TX, OK, AR, and LA already preseat judges. The organizer/rep has dealt with spreading out the newbies and the masters. But I have had PMs saying it isn't that way in many areas.

So the Royal is to be commended, but so are the organizers/reps who have been doing this for some time now in their areas.

They assigned judges to tables by years of experience at the Sams contest in South Bend, which I thought was a great idea. Guess what??? There was still a TOD.

imho..Trending information on individual judges scoring is more representative of his judging than how many contests hes judged.. Not saying that should be discounted, but i think both should be considered. A master judge who took the class 15 years ago or in a different region will likely have a different scoring technique than one who took a more recent class or have a different rep teaching.

(IE.. some start at 6-7 and go up... some start at 9 and go down)....

but the important thing here is.. they are trying.. :)

imho..Trending information on individual judges scoring is more representative of his judging than how many contests hes judged.. Not saying that should be discounted, but i think both should be considered. A master judge who took the class 15 years ago or in a different region will likely have a different scoring technique than one who took a more recent class or have a different rep teaching.

(IE.. some start at 6-7 and go up... some start at 9 and go down)....

but the important thing here is.. they are trying.. :)

Phil, you old pot stirrer. :wink: I can see it now:

"All right judges, listen up. I want all of you judges who took classes more than 5 years ago to get in this line. Now if you had a rep teach you in the NE, over here. SW over there, ... Now if you start at 6 and go up, over here. 10 and go down, right here. Then we're going to line you up by your scoring history. If you are the lowest scoring judge, you will have to run the cook's gauntlet. Any questions?"

Back