Am I the only one?

I would say Im truely happy about 20% of the time? Even on things that I have made before Im sometimes not happy with it. If its something I have never made, I always think I can do better.

I critique myself all the time, and often make changes. Sometimes they are intentional changes, and may or may not improve things. Other times they are unintentional changes and work out good as well.

There are 4 or 5 folks that I can ask for an honest evaluation, and get one..... but for the most part I accept the fact than by habit, people are just polite. They always will say positive things. And although I like to hear good things, I just don't take them to the bank.

Ive been doing bbq since the very late 90's. Honestly I can say I am burned out.
Eat enough smoke off my big offset smoker and sampling tid-bits I loose my taste buds.
Everybody says my bbq is way better than any local q joint we have here in my area.
I really don't know, get a bit frustrated and sometimes change things up.
I just want to produce a great tasting product, nothing more.
My wife says my product taste great and just do what I normally do.

I am definitely my own harshest critic. Friends and family love the food, but I know it could always be better.

Truthfully, I wouldn't want it any other way. The day I make the perfect BBQ is the day I'd have to stop, and who the heck wants that?

My response when I taste the final product is usually "its good but...." I almost always feel like it could have been better.

But then there are those rare occasions where you almost feel like spiking the football after a game winning touchdown!

But I'd be pretty mad at myself if I got excited and spiked a pork butt!

Back