THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
We shall see by tomorrow evening. I should have an answer from the last partner on an existing restaurant on whether we have a deal or not. Long story and I won't bother you with the details (at least for now), but this deal was presented to me over a month ago and now it comes down to tomorrow. I have left the guidance of this decision up to the Lord and just ask that his will be done and I be a good servant for which ever way he leads me.
The crazy part is I have no earthly idea why I want to involve my money, time, effort, family and life into a BBQ restaurant business. Have you seen the statistics of failure? But for some reason I do want it. I have been in the corporate world for 20+ years until last October. I really don't have the desire to go back into it. For the past month I have spent a lot of time at the restaurant and when I leave there I feel accomplished. The reason I have spent so much time there is so if this does go through I would have a better insight on what the day to day activities are and to be able to hit the ground running. I certainly can see that there will be many ups and downs in the business. I don't have any grand ideas that I will sell out each day or retire early. I just want to have a successful business and have something for my family to be proud of.
Off to sleep and then the waiting game tomorrow.

We shall see by tomorrow evening. I should have an answer from the last partner on an existing restaurant on whether we have a deal or not. Long story and I won't bother you with the details (at least for now), but this deal was presented to me over a month ago and now it comes down to tomorrow. I have left the guidance of this decision up to the Lord and just ask that his will be done and I be a good servant for which ever way he leads me.

Yep the inner voice will guide you through the decision needed to be made,
Just listen.

The crazy part is I have no earthly idea why I want to involve my money, time, effort, family and life into a BBQ restaurant business. Have you seen the statistics of failure? But for some reason I do want it. I have been in the corporate world for 20+ years until last October. I really don't have the desire to go back into it. For the past month I have spent a lot of time at the restaurant and when I leave there I feel accomplished. The reason I have spent so much time there is so if this does go through I would have a better insight on what the day to day activities are and to be able to hit the ground running. I certainly can see that there will be many ups and downs in the business. I don't have any grand ideas that I will sell out each day or retire early. I just want to have a successful business and have something for my family to be proud of.
Off to sleep and then the waiting game tomorrow.

Weather it works or not, you won't know till you tried and being a man of faith and a hard worker is a perfect combination.

Partnerships can be very tough though, I'm speaking from personal experience. Two intelligent minds are sometimes hard to work together.
Just sayin

Was in restaurant business for 18 years and had many very successful years in it. Its a ton of work to make it a success. But all of that said I miss it and after 4 years in healthcare foodservice I would kinda like to go back... :) I guess I'm a sucker for punishment... God Bless

I understand that itch, I have it too. I couldn't own a restaurant and meet my financial obligations and goals right now, but there's a part of me that keeps wanting to just sell it all and buy a little place somewhere.

Best of luck!

btw, anyone have a list of bbq restaurants started by the brethren?

Pickled pig is pretty obvious, could have sworn there was a guy in Alaska, one in Japan, and a few others over the last year or so. Love reading about peoples experiences!

Best of luck!

btw, anyone have a list of bbq restaurants started by the brethren?

Pickled pig is pretty obvious, could have sworn there was a guy in Alaska, one in Japan, and a few others over the last year or so. Love reading about peoples experiences!

I have been trying to push for a directory of all Brethren owned businesses for a while now. So far, no one seems to be up to the challenge.

There is a GREAT bbq restaurant in North Houston called Gatlins. I read an article on line (Cant find the dang thing now) and he came from the corporate world to open it up. He said he was not happy in the corporate grind but made well into the 6 figures. He had no restaurant experience but had done some catering in the past. he up and quit his job and open up Gatlins in a very small building, and i mean small. He was the only one working there in the beginning and did everything himself. But word soon spread that his bbq was top quality and so were his sides. Anyway, if you can google the article, and it talks about his beginnings and how is so happy he did it.

Good luck to you my man and if it happens to start up for you, just remember not to sacrifice your quality as so many bbq joints do.

There is a GREAT bbq restaurant in North Houston called Gatlins. I read an article on line (Cant find the dang thing now) and he came from the corporate world to open it up. He said he was not happy in the corporate grind but made well into the 6 figures. He had no restaurant experience but had done some catering in the past. he up and quit his job and open up Gatlins in a very small building, and i mean small. He was the only one working there in the beginning and did everything himself. But word soon spread that his bbq was top quality and so were his sides. Anyway, if you can google the article, and it talks about his beginnings and how is so happy he did it.

Good luck to you my man and if it happens to start up for you, just remember not to sacrifice your quality as so many bbq joints do.

I used to buy seafood for the owner of Gatlins... I also used to live in Cypress, TX

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
Back