THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have my own concept for this stuff. Aside from thanksgiving, when i may do a second small bird as the traditional centerpiece, I do this for chickens and turkeys. The big bird thats the main course gets sectioned during cooking. (The centerpiece is then the sandwich bird for that turkey on rye sandwich at midnight)

I pull the bird when the breast crosses 150. Thats it, no higher. i then cutoff the thighs at the joint and put them back in the oven at 400-425 and pull them at 175 to rest and cross into the 180s. The breast and wings are tented and sit on top of the stove(by the vent where its pretty hot) as they climb to the 160+'ish.

I also dont stuff the bird with stuffing, I stuff loosely with fruits(apples pears, etc).

nothing worse than a dried out shriveled up breast. :twisted::wink:

I was thinking of doing something similar for bird on UDS. My bird is not going to be for show so I'm not real concerned with presentation.
Taking wings, thighs and legs off before cooking. Then I can take breast off when it's done and then dark meat when it's done.
Any thoughts?

From what I have found, he says 161 when cooking in the oven. He says 151 when deep frying. I wonder if it will continue to rise so much because it is cooking so fast. As slow as the temp will rise on a smoker, I would not trust it to rise 19 degrees after removing. I did a ham on my smoker the other day and the temp only came up another 5 degrees after I took it off. I didn't touch the thermometer after removing because I wanted to see just how much it would rise.

I watched his turkey frying episode just now and he said he was frying the bird until it was at 151. He said it would carry over to 161, which he considered done. Seems low to me, but that's what he said.

151 181, whatever. How about that Turkey Derrick? WTF?!

Hey Ron - that link up there, it goes to the site You Tube. There they have videos you can watch on your 'puter. This particular video is Alton building a Turkey Derrick for use while frying the little farker up. :mrgreen: Overkill, yeah. Feeling like a smart a@@, yep.

He did take it out at 151, but I thought he said it only carried over to 164. He was wanting it to carry over to 165.

Turkey derrick

Is that to make it safer. Lets see you are now working in a tight space, using a ladder in a wat that the manufacturer did not design it for. Cotton rope over splashing oil (cotton won't absorb too much), using cable ties for support on objects with sharp edges.

I'll stick with the way that the turkey fryer manufactures designed it. if you follow thedirections and only use the amount of oil needed to cover and make sure that your turkey is DRY. I have never had an issue with it overflowing, just a little splashing (thats why you don't do this in the nude). I also do not have to leave my turkey hanging in the back yard for 30 min's waiting for the oil to cool enough to remove it from the derrick. And for those in cooler climates I am sure your turkey will climb 10 degrees while hanging under a ladder in a snow storm on Thursday.

Back