Adding an upper grate on a 500 gal smoker

KClandcruiser

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Erik
Howdy all. I fairly recently got a 500 gallon offset with 2 doors. Door width on each door is roughly 3'

I'm wanting to add a 2nd grate above. Thinking of rolling with angle iron for the supports with a 1" square tubing and expanded metal for the grate.

I shouldn't have any issues with height, but want to keep the 2nd grate as low as possible to maximize width on the grate. My lower grate doesn't slide out, so I need to leave enough head space to play with my meat on the lower rack while the 2nd rack is in place.

On to my questions I'm seeking advice on:

1. What would be an optimal height above the lower grate to allow enough workable space, but to maximize the upper grate size

2. As far as bracing on the upper grate, should I just put in parallel bracing, x-bracing, any other ideas I don't know of or am missing?

3. Would 1/4" thickness on the angle iron be enough to withstand the weight of a grate full of briskets/butts? Or should I go 3/8". The amount of material is minimal, so ok with beefing it up if necessary

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
yUz7V9D.jpg

4CqJA7E.jpg

I've just angle iron. Not sure about the sizes. For the height I measured a but + like 4 inch extra or so. I can measure my height tomorrow if needed.
I've not tested how much weight it can carry but I think I can lay on it.

I've just angle iron. Not sure about the sizes. For the height I measured a but + like 4 inch extra or so. I can measure my height tomorrow if needed.
I've not tested how much weight it can carry but I think I can lay on it.[/QUOTE]

What do you feed those pigeons to end up with meaty drums like that?

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/hMkWbqV.jpg

I have a 24 inch barrel with 6 5/8 between the grates. That enough for briskets and butts. IF you have the room you could space more if you wanted..

I've not tested how much weight it can carry but I think I can lay on it.

That is one beast of a grate and a beautiful looking cooker! I may have to go that route

• Thanks
Reactions: Kmm
Your bottom grate not pulling out would be a concern.

Have a helper take a sheet of cardboard and put it at 12" (or whatever height you like) above and parallel to your cooking grates. Now reach under that sheet like you are flipping, pulling or rearranging your meat using one or two hands - with and without tongs. Test is how easy it might be to brush up against your new upper grate. Will you be able to see all the way to the back of the lower grate if the top one is full?

Leave yourself as much height /clearance as you can live with and don't fret a few square inches of upper rack space

I've got burned in "hash marks" on my forearms from 2 x 2 ft square grates on a vertical cooker with 6-1/2" between racks- and they pull out. (I call them "stupid awards"- Stupid I did not wear sleeves or have longer gloves)

Good luck sir.

Dang when did you get that? :clap2:

I made a cannonball run out to Indiana with a friend of mine at the end of April and picked it up. Bought it out of the classifieds from here.

Once we can have gatherings again, we should set up a KC bash and I'll bring it out!

Your bottom grate not pulling out would be a concern.

Have a helper take a sheet of cardboard and put it at 12" (or whatever height you like) above and parallel to your cooking grates. Now reach under that sheet like you are flipping, pulling or rearranging your meat using one or two hands - with and without tongs. Test is how easy it might be to brush up against your new upper grate. Will you be able to see all the way to the back of the lower grate if the top one is full?

Leave yourself as much height /clearance as you can live with and don't fret a few square inches of upper rack space

I've got burned in "hash marks" on my forearms from 2 x 2 ft square grates on a vertical cooker with 6-1/2" between racks- and they pull out. (I call them "stupid awards"- Stupid I did not wear sleeves or have longer gloves)

Good luck sir.

That is some very sage advice! I've already picked up a few stupid awards on this new pit :mrgreen:

Definitely going to mock up some cardboard and would much rather sacrifice top rack space to keep my arms from getting a nice sear every time I cook on the bottom grate

Back