THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G$ we were thinking the older (LARGER) more mature Japs had more heat because they had more time to develop the heat. Proved that wrong too.
John, I'm not saying this is right but I cooked them until the bacon was done nice and "mahogany color" the peppers were firm and the bacon was done but not crispy. Oh and a smoker CAN burn bacon LMAO it still tasted ok though.

JohnMcD348 said:
I've tried it a couple of times but never did quite get it right. I think I overcooked them. By the time they were done, they were all limp and soggy. I did a simple cream cheese and ground sausage stuffed Japs and precooked the sausage.

How long should ABT's be cooked in the smoker?

DEpending on size and what's in them, I cook them anywhere from 45 min to an hour and a quarter, tops. Usually at a hot spot in my pit, probably 250 - 275º. When the bacon is cooked, they're ready.

The only way to get a guarantee on a mild jalapeno is to use the TAM variety. They still retain the flavor, but the heat has been removed. Like G$ I've heard of several visual indicators you can use to determine which peppers are hotter. AND, the results of my research are the same as his. You pay your money, and take your chances.

brdbbq said:
Here's another...

http://www.jalapenocafe.com/twister.html

Also try turkey bacon instead of pork timing seems better for when the pepper is done. Make sense ?

The difference between the two tools is that the one you list only seeds and cores... great if you want to keep all the heat.

If your japs are too hot, just scrape more of the insides out... you can make even hot japs very mild by doing that.

thunderbelly said:
G$ we were thinking the older (LARGER) more mature Japs had more heat because they had more time to develop the heat. Proved that wrong too.

Yeah, probably the opposite is true, generally speaking, because of a higher ratio of flesh to "capsaicinoid white meat" on a larger pepper.

...who knows. All I know is they is good.

Man I am trying them this weekend. It's almost lunchtime and I 'm dying. Hate drooling all over my paperwork

I use a grapefruit knife I picked up for about a buck. It's a little more stable for me than the peelers. I can really thin down some of those thicker walled peppers.

Attachments

I need to find one of those pepper holding racks or I'll be doing the boats.

I just did another batch today (these are addictive) and while coring them with a paring knife I SHOT MYSELF IN THE EYE!!!!!:shock:
This time I did the pineapple thing and smoked them on the Traeger, I am soo hooked on these turds

If you need to make some and don't have a chile grill... get a couple cheap aluminum muffin bakers, turn them upside down, and poke holse in them to hold the peppers.

offa1a said:
I need to find one of those pepper holding racks or I'll be doing the boats.

If there is an Academy close to you, they have these for $10.

I place them in every other hole like checkerboard. That way the heat can pass though and not turn the bottoms into mush.

Attachments

Closest Academy to offa1a would be Macon Ga, or Pensacola Fla, Pensacola is about 360 miles from jax. I am guessing Macon is over 200 miles.
Edit: just looked it up 270 miles from Jax to Macon.

The quality of the Academy pepper holders is not as good as it was. The stainless is much thinner now. It's still a good deal for $10, though.

I think I'm going to do a mod on a muffin pan. What the heck, the wife is already hiding anything related to cooking that she really likes. Any input into hole size....1" to big? (Yeah I know I 'm leaving the door wide open on that one)

when I used them (the first few times I made ABTs), I just poked a hole in the bottom of the tins, twirled the knife around, and put a pepper in it. If the hole was too small, I made it bigger. You can put a toothpick through the pepper to make sure it doesn't fall through if the hole is too big.

Just put my very first batch in the smoker.
I tried two ways. One being the end cut off, filled and bacon wrapped length wise.
The second doing a slit, filling, and wrapping the bacon around.
Both are on skewers and laying on their sides. Pics to follow in about an hour or so.

We cut the peppers in half, then remove most of the seeds and pulp. Fill with whatever and wrap with bacon. Each pepper makes 2 ABTs and you get more of the filling flavor with the pepper.

bbqjoe said:
Just put my very first batch in the smoker.
I tried two ways. One being the end cut off, filled and bacon wrapped length wise.
The second doing a slit, filling, and wrapping the bacon around.
Both are on skewers and laying on their sides. Pics to follow in about an hour or so.

Get them turned hole up! (fwiw, I cut the top end off, AND wrap bacon on top and all around)

Back