THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ummagumma

Knows what a fatty is.
Good holiday weekend everyone !

I am trying to smoke an 8 lbs brisket in an electric smoker using Bludawg's method.

Brisket help

He's talking about 12-15 lbs brisket and 4 hrs before removing and wrapping in butcher's paper.

This comes to about 16-20 min per lb.

So do I keep the 8 lbs brisket in the smoker for 3 hours ?

Or is it a different proportion.

Straight up? Not sure. I don't know if it matters, but is this a whole brisket or Just the flat or point? The 4 hours is ballpark to get you to the stall with a full packer brisket that is 12-15 lbs running at 300. You can't go by time and temp- can't..so do yourself a favor and stop thinking of it in terms of hours /lb. Stick a probe in it- have it yell when it hits about 160- let it go to 165 or 170 if you aren't crazy about the color /bark formation. IF you like the color at that point, wrap the sucker and put it back in the smoker for "about" another hour. set the thermo to yell at you at about 203. it may not be done-but that's a good point doing a fast and hot cook to start probing for tenderness. good luck!

Straight up? Not sure. I don't know if it matters, but is this a whole brisket or Just the flat or point? The 4 hours is ballpark to get you to the stall with a full packer brisket that is 12-15 lbs running at 300. You can't go by time and temp- can't..so do yourself a favor and stop thinking of it in terms of hours /lb. Stick a probe in it- have it yell when it hits about 160- let it go to 165 or 170 if you aren't crazy about the color /bark formation. IF you like the color at that point, wrap the sucker and put it back in the smoker for "about" another hour. set the thermo to yell at you at about 203. it may not be done-but that's a good point doing a fast and hot cook to start probing for tenderness. good luck!
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This,
But I will add,,, the meat is done when it’s done. Cooking a random piece of meat to a specific time per pound may get it eatable but not necessarily “done”
I use internal temp for a guide as to when it’s close to done, but I pull it when it probes tender with a skewer or therm pen. These should slide into the meat all over in 6 or so opposite places like butter. No resistance like pushing the skewer into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Then it’s done and time to rest. Final IT at this point is just a reference, could be anywhere from 195-210F

To be fair- everyone would like a "ballpark" finishing time to insure it gets on the table by a certain hour- totally get it. And the "it's done when it's done" IS true -but rarely goes over well if your guests passed on breakfast or lunch to save room for your delicious meat. But if there was one answer for time /pound it would be written and part of BBQ lore for all to read and heed. Start early - hold longer is the true way.

Miss the Bludawg. If I had not been around this site to see his posts that "you can't cook a brisket to time and temperature" - I too might have wanted to plug his "4 hour - 1 hour and maybe one more hour" into a word problem with a smaller brisket and be done with it. Would have been a mistake- but I could see doing it.

I love the BluDawg method but find mine always takes longer (2-3 hours) than his recipe to get where I want it. It'll keep hot (above 145) for at least six hours FTC and needs a few hours rest anyways to be it's best so, plan on getting done *at least* four hours before you want to eat. That gives you a ton of wiggle-room if your cook goes longer than planned. And, it gives you time to shower and relax before the guests arrive. Guests love an on-time dinner and a non-smokey, relaxed host :)

Back