A Question About Dry Rubs

I use a grinder on mine. $9.95 coffee grinder.... the wally world special black and decker... Works GREAT on Turbinado sugar.

And if you have any kids.... that grinder will take the granulated stuff, and let them make thier own powdered sugar for Sunday morning waffles...

I to like the flavor of the Raw sugar over organic (whatever the hect that is?) or white sugar I use a cofee grinder and grind it until I can sift it with the rest of my spices. Good Luck

Another vote here for the coffee grinder[spice grinder]. I have one dedicted just for spices and rubs.
However, I always use Turbinado straight with out grinding, and have never had a problem. I too like the larger granule size. I have never had an issue with burning at the temps we use to cook--up to around 300 degrees at times.

I'm a little late jumping in here, Brian, but I too use turbinado sugar and I always let it set on the meat for a minimum of a couple of hours, thenn cook at a minimum of 220°. Never had a problem with residuals. Shoot I make a coffee rub and the grounds disappear too!

Arlin

Nonthink,

Yeah, that's the hole O meant. Hmmmm..... I'm afraid at this point neither drilling it myself nor taking it to be drilled are options. I'm thinking a remote thermometer might be the best option at this point.

Mods? *Blank Noob Stare*

And based on the comments I'm getting, I'm beginning to suspect this particular problem has to do with haste on my part in terms of how long the rub sits on the meat before I put it in the smoker.

i usually aply the rub the night before so everything blends nice.
Do a search on mod. your smoker is simuler in to mine.
there's the heat baffle between the firebox and smoke camber mod.
the lowing the chiminy mod.
and a few others that will all help with temp control

I use Turbinado sugar in my rub as well and have never had any problems with the way it turns out. I usually rub the meat down and allow it to sit and proof for a period before placing it in the smoker. The bark on my pork butts have always been good IMO and carmelize really well.

I read up on the mods. A lot of them look way over my head at this point, but maybe those will be my projects next summer.

BrianBinOR said:
Nonthink,

Yeah, that's the hole O meant. Hmmmm..... I'm afraid at this point neither drilling it myself nor taking it to be drilled are options. I'm thinking a remote thermometer might be the best option at this point.

Mods? *Blank Noob Stare*

And based on the comments I'm getting, I'm beginning to suspect this particular problem has to do with haste on my part in terms of how long the rub sits on the meat before I put it in the smoker.

So did you decide to go the remote route? No need to send a door thermo if you aren't going to use it....a wired probe like an AcuRite, or a Polder will work just as well. I use one with it stuck thru a potato to check temps at the self level in the blue goose.

I haven't decided, actually -- school's keeping me too busy and poor (emphasis on the busy) to address my smoker at the moment.

Back