THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
I have never had my drum above 250 until today. And today I could not get above 300!

Been using a PC fan and a PID controller, I can maintain with 2 of 250.

I had all the vents open (4 3/4 nipples, one with fan) and just reaching 260.

Then I hot me, I am controlling temp with air flow, and limiting air flow with my exhaust. Got my other webber kettle top, removed the vent adjustment, and cut the interior out. Now almost a 4 inch opening.

Temps quickly went over 400. Happy camper again!

Are you up to 600 degrees yet. LOL. Man, that's a lot of exhaust for a drum bro. Let us know how it goes. Happy Thanksgiving!

Wow! The other day with heavy winds and all the vents (intake and exhaust) closed, I couldn't get the temp below 300. Last night I grilled steaks on it with all intakes open and was over 400 w/o any problems.

One these will get your temps up....

FanJetEngineModel.JPG

Hi,

I'm interested in your diy pid!

Do you have your electronics in a enclosure? If so, which one?

I'm slowly putting together a arduino/LCD/thermocouple measurement and
Control system.

My UDS lid is 8 x 1/2" holes evenly spaced on the flat lid.
Works great but not at all weather resistant.

Thanks

It makes a big difference WHERE you are taking a temperature reading. Yesterday, when I was doing a big turkey, I had a drip pan with water under the bird, and the temperature probe is right in the middle, between the bird and drip pan. It read about 250 all day, but if I slid the 12" probe out from in between the bird and pan, it was running 375.

It makes a big difference WHERE you are taking a temperature reading. Yesterday, when I was doing a big turkey, I had a drip pan with water under the bird, and the temperature probe is right in the middle, between the bird and drip pan. It read about 250 all day, but if I slid the 12" probe out from in between the bird and pan, it was running 375.

Yeah, same way w/ a wsm, particularly when full of meat. I really like a good gauge, but use a Maverick, probe hanging just inside the lid vent. I'm working on another uds, and I'll probably be monitoring temps at the lid vent on it as well, a Kingsford kettle lid that fits on my drum nice and snug.

Back