THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ya those look amazing, I would for sure eat either or both:) great cook and fantastic pictures!

Looks great!

I like mine a little "crustier" than your on the outside, so I tend to Sous-Vide around the 122-125 range, then hit the cast iron after that. One thing I've found that I really like is to season the steak before it goes in the bag, even if it's just salt and pepper.

One of my favorite things about Sous-vide is that it's great for a small party in the 6-12 people range. You never really know when you're going to have dinner, and with a sous-vide you have a huge window (3 hours or so) when you need to pull them.

Also - I tried chicken in mine for the first time last night. Wow. Simple chicken breast - it was the most moist chicken I've ever had. Some lemon pepper and sprig of rosemary in the bag with it, and it was fantastic. The whole family loved it.

Those look great. Love the med rare on them. I age ribeyes all the time and have sous vide a few. I like to use a cast iron pan to really get a hard sear after a sous vide. Did you find that you had to season more aggressively after they came out of the water? I found that I have had to do that. I have been also been debating if I should just throw them directly on coals with no grate. That might be my next cook!

Thank you Madman, Kevin and Marty!
I hope to try fish and chicken soon. Sounds like this is the perfect machine for them.

You're welcome! :wink: I'm still experimenting myself and I've noticed that a CI pan, like you said, or a raging fire is the key to a nice crust. The texture, moisture and taste is spot on and with a good crust it'll be killer.

I tried another KC strip tonight. Used the CI pan this time for the sear. I seasoned the steak with a home made smoked salt, pepper, garlic, onion blend first...then topped the steak with a pad of smoked butter when finished. It was outstanding! The addition of smoke flavor in the spice and butter really finished it off nicely. I think I'm going to like this thing! Thanks again Sako. :thumb:

Thank you Ron, Marty, Matt and Mike!

Wow those steaks look awesome! Ive been waiting on this review before I pull the trigger on one of these.....Would you get it again if you had the chance? Worth it?

Thanks as always for the great reviews and awesome cooks!

Thank you Shane! I had reservations about the whole sous vide process but after using it again tonight on a KC strip... I would buy it again.
I got mine (the $199. version) when it was $50. off. I probably wouldn't have paid full price for it but the sale price caught my eye. I'm glad I bought it. I'm looking forward to trying chicken and fish to see how it comes out.
Thanks again Shane, good luck if you get one! :-D

Ya those look amazing, I would for sure eat either or both:) great cook and fantastic pictures!

Thank you Smokiemon! It was a fun taste test. I had leftover steak for breakfast the next day. :becky:

Looks great!

I like mine a little "crustier" than your on the outside, so I tend to Sous-Vide around the 122-125 range, then hit the cast iron after that. One thing I've found that I really like is to season the steak before it goes in the bag, even if it's just salt and pepper.

One of my favorite things about Sous-vide is that it's great for a small party in the 6-12 people range. You never really know when you're going to have dinner, and with a sous-vide you have a huge window (3 hours or so) when you need to pull them.

Also - I tried chicken in mine for the first time last night. Wow. Simple chicken breast - it was the most moist chicken I've ever had. Some lemon pepper and sprig of rosemary in the bag with it, and it was fantastic. The whole family loved it.
Thank you!! I appreciate the info! I used it again tonight and seasoned the steak with a smoked salt blend..that made a nice difference. I seared it in the hot CI skillet and got a good crust this time.
Love the sound of your chicken breast, I'll give that a try. Thanks again for the info!

Thank you Blue, I'll fed ex a steak to ya! :mrgreen:

Hiya Lady J, those steaks look PERFECT!

Thanks Chris! I'm having fun playing with this thing. So far the results have been tasty. :becky: (knock on wood)

Those look great. Love the med rare on them. I age ribeyes all the time and have sous vide a few. I like to use a cast iron pan to really get a hard sear after a sous vide. Did you find that you had to season more aggressively after they came out of the water? I found that I have had to do that. I have been also been debating if I should just throw them directly on coals with no grate. That might be my next cook!

Thank you! I didn't really season them any more aggressively on this cook. They seemed to taste fine to me.
Tonight I used smoked salt which made a big difference. I also seared in a cast iron skillet and got a good crust.
I'm still learning. :mrgreen:
Let me know of you do a direct coal cook! Thanks again! :-D

I'm a bit tripped out about this boil in bag technique, but your food is always beautiful

Thank you Tom! Me too! :becky:
I'm a direct fire person. Simmering food in a bag just sounds wrong. lol
So far the two cooks I've done came out good. I'll keep you posted if the rest of them go downhill. :thumb:

Jeanie it is really a pretty flexible cooker and I am more impressed every time I use it. Tonight it is confit(cooked in a form of fat) turkey legs that will be ready in 24 hours. They will then get a quick fry to crisp up the skin. FYI, the tendons have all been pulled out.

I'm tempted to carve my dry aged ribeye 7 days early! Those steaks look amazing! You've added another tool to your impressive arsenal. If i had the time, I would choose a 45 day dry aged ribeye, 2 hours sous vide, seared at 600 degrees on my BGE. I usually season before the bath, but I think some finishing salts are in my future.

Mouthwatering, Again! Great cook!! :clap2::p:thumb:

Looks great! Get a cheap coleman coolor and cut a hole in it. If I did it again I'd put it in the back left corner. Don't bother with the top for the short 1-2 hours cooks but any long cooks I use it.

2014-05-12

Very nice Jeanie!

If I'd of known you were cooking two steaks I'd have flown down for a taste test!

Jeanie it is really a pretty flexible cooker and I am more impressed every time I use it. Tonight it is confit(cooked in a form of fat) turkey legs that will be ready in 24 hours. They will then get a quick fry to crisp up the skin. FYI, the tendons have all been pulled out.
Marty, that looks and sounds delicious! One of my concerns with long cooking time is my schedule. I have to be able to drop everything and leave the house at any time. Do people leave these unattended for long cooks?
Thanks for the post!

I'm tempted to carve my dry aged ribeye 7 days early! Those steaks look amazing! You've added another tool to your impressive arsenal. If i had the time, I would choose a 45 day dry aged ribeye, 2 hours sous vide, seared at 600 degrees on my BGE. I usually season before the bath, but I think some finishing salts are in my future.

Mouthwatering, Again! Great cook!! :clap2::p:thumb:
Thanks so much!! Your cook plan sounds perfect. I can't wait to see how your dry aged ribeye turns out. I'm going to give your 2hr sous vide time a try. Thanks! :grin:

Looks great! Get a cheap coleman coolor and cut a hole in it. If I did it again I'd put it in the back left corner. Don't bother with the top for the short 1-2 hours cooks but any long cooks I use it.

2014-05-12

That looks like a great set up CakeM1x! Similar to what Brethren Norm has. I looked at coolers last week but couldn't decide on what size to get. I think I'm going to get a rack for the meat too. Thanks for the pics!

Great write up, Jeanie! Steaks look perfect!
Thank you Moose! :thumb:

Very nice Jeanie!

If I'd of known you were cooking two steaks I'd have flown down for a taste test!
Shoot Norm, I'll holler next time. :-D I have never been able to eat one steak at a time. I'm a lightweight. :laugh:

I can't play when you cook like this. It's like all the cool kids got bikes and I got a skateboard.

(Looks awesome though) ;-))

I am familiar with that feeling! Every time you, Sako and Andrew fire up your PBCs... I drool from afar. :mrgreen:
Thanks Adams! :thumb:

Last night's steak. One of the 30 day dry aged KC strips. I used a smoked salt/pepper blend, went for 1 1/2 hrs at 131F, pan seared in the cast iron skillet, then topped with a pad of smoked butter.

sous%20vide%20kc%20strip%20042res_zpspzu1yd14.jpg

sous%20vide%20kc%20strip%20056res_zpswvhcdfet.jpg

This was my favorite so far. I think the smoked spice and butter added a lot of flavor. Also the pan sear crust was nice.

Back