THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

^^^Sean, I believe we're on the same page. My point is that when you have TCs telling judges, as was the case with me in the one contest I've judged, that anything below a 6 requires a comment card, you are likely going to get judges who score nothing below a 6. No matter how bad it is, you'll see nothing below a 6 so they don't have to fill out a comment card. That doesn't mean they're wrong, it just means they don't want to have to say, "Hey, Mr. Cook, that entry was just plain bad."

I was told the cooks spend a lot of money and time to do their entries so you need to score high as a result. If a judge doesn't hear that or if they want to use the scale that's given to them, they may give a 6 for an entry that is average...or they may give a 6 because the entry is horrible.

I've gotten a few 6s at contests, and those are always along with more 9s. My only question to that is , "How am I supposed to know if that 6 was a horrible entry according to that judge, of if it was average."

In the case of the new score reporting, I think I can get that. I just don't believe this new reporting system will keep judges from using a 3 point scale.

I hope I'm wrong, however. If, as was mentioned in the other thread, we get a tracking system and some education to train judges on how they should score, I may be. In that case, I will gladly wear the egg on my face.

We just competed in troy comp and scoring was all over the place.

It was for us too. A lot of the teams that have previously won did not score well. I do not believe it was coincidence. Last year we were 6th in Brisket, 8th in pork, 15th in ribs, 25th (?) in chicken and 14th over all. This year we were at the bottom of the pack in every category. Table of death? We were on table 6 two times! many of the table 6 teams finished at the bottom. For us chicken was probably scored accordingly (never seem to get it dialed in, tried a new technique) but, my pork is always top 10 CONSISTANTLY! It finished DAL! Once again....Table 6.....I am not going to change a thing except maybe skipping this contest in the future for a few years

Back