THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major hurdle cleared tonight, reverse flow plate is in place, tacked along the edges and the seam down the middle is welded solid. I will go back and weld all the edges solid too. Somehow it worked out exactly how I envision, a nice gentle slope towards the drain end.
picture.php

picture.php

I will get the drain trimmed down to height tomorrow and welded in.
picture.php

Sort of a last minute decision, I changed my original design and decided to run the drain all the way to the edge of the trailer. I think I will be happy that I did this.
picture.php

We are getting close!

Spent the morning doing chores and cleaning up my work area. Did manage to to get the fenders on and did a little grinding on the rear cook chamber door to improve the fit. Should get a good 4-5 hours of work in this afternoon before we shut it down early tonight to have a weenie roast!
picture.php

Time to get the wood storage & propane tank spot fabricated. Still have some work to do on the propane spot, specifically how I will secure the bottle to the trailer, but I am waiting until all other fabrication is done to see what material I have left to work with.
picture.php

picture.php

Had you considered enclosing the area for the propane tank? Possibly making the wood storage extended with a separate area for the tank? If your just using the propane tank for the weed burner is it a must to have it mounted on the trailer? Kinda seems like more fab work that could be easily tossed on the back of the truck right?

Had you considered enclosing the area for the propane tank? Possibly making the wood storage extended with a separate area for the tank? If your just using the propane tank for the weed burner is it a must to have it mounted on the trailer? Kinda seems like more fab work that could be easily tossed on the back of the truck right?

Yeah I want it on the trailer, it won't take much to finish that off, just want to make sure I don't use something up that is intended for another spot.

Sent off some pics and info to a local sandblaster/painter and he came back with what I felt like was a reasonable price so as soon as I am done with fabrication I will be taking it to him. I toyed around with doing it myself but I don't really have a good setup for it and I am getting to that point where I just want it to be done, so I will maintain my focus on the fabrication and let someone with experience put the paint on.

No progress to report today, I feel like such a slacker. Had a little league baseball coaches meeting tonight so I decided to just take the evening off, recharge the batteries and hope to get a little bit of work in tomorrow night.

So that I feel like I am doing something I will make myself a list of things to do:
Finish welding exhaust stack in
Make exhaust cap & handle
Finish welding in the reverse flow plate
Cut opening between firebox and tank
Cut drain to height and weld in
Weld up tank patches
Build a boxed in base for propane cylinder
Build cooking racks and rails
Build exterior shelf
Weld on interior drip shield on doors
Temp probe access holes
Mount thermometers
Weld on light boxes
Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind
Take for sandblasting/paint
Run wiring for lights

Seems like quite a bit still to do, but most of it will go pretty fast.

Last edited:
You are farking amazing. You have a job? Are you on PED's? Where do you get this much energy?

I get a lot of satisfaction from building stuff and since I hung up my tool belt for an office job, I need an outlet for that passion! No drugs here, in fact diet dr pepper is the hardest thing I drink.

I would build cookers/grills for people in a second if my skills were good enough and there was the demand, but I live pretty far north so I don't know what the demand is for offset type cookers. I guess I could make insulated fireboxes a standard option!

Once I get this wrapped up, I have a decent sized landscape project to start, building a retaining wall/planter box that will wrap around 1/3 of our house. Before this it was an in home theater build, pretty proud of that one!

No progress to report today, I feel like such a slacker. Had a little league baseball coaches meeting tonight so I decided to just take the evening off, recharge the batteries and hope to get a little bit of work in tomorrow night.

So that I feel like I am doing something I will make myself a list of things to do:
Finish welding exhaust stack in
Make exhaust cap & handle
Finish welding in the reverse flow plate
Cut opening between firebox and tank
Cut drain to height and weld in
Weld up tank patches
Build a boxed in base for propane cylinder
Build cooking racks and rails
Build exterior shelf
Weld on interior drip shield on doors
Temp probe access holes
Mount thermometers
Weld on light boxes
Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind, Grind
Take for sandblasting/paint
Run wiring for lights

Seems like quite a bit still to do, but most of it will go pretty fast.

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

:becky: Keep up the great work! :thumb:

Back