THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finished welding the firebox to the tank/trailer tonight. Have a lot of grinding to do now, will be pleased if I can get that done before the weekend.

Wow, when is the last time you slept? Great job, how did you get it into position to weld it?

I sat the firebox up on 4" blocks, leveled it and then got the trailer/tank into position over the firebox. After that I got a couple jacks out, took the wheels off the trailer and lowered the tank onto the firebox, made sure everything was level and tacked it all together. Jacked it up and put the wheels back on, glad I don't have to manhandle that big firebox anymore!

Subscribed and love watching your build, I'm a metal head and love fabrication and welding. While I currently don't have a project, I do vicariously through you!

I'm really enjoying your build and can't wait to see the big pig cook. You have some really neat design ideas and the quality of the actual fabrication looks great, thanks for the detailed documentation. I especially like the no frills simplicity of just the cooker & wood storage on the well built trailer.

I did a little grinding tonight to clean up some spots, still plenty more of that to do but it can wait! Then I got a hole cut out for the exhaust stack, I slipped the pipe in and tacked it in a couple of spots just to get an idea of how it will look. It isn't completely level so it is coming back out tomorrow evening so I can get that fixed, because that will drive me nuts every time I look at it!
picture.php

picture.php

Run to Lowes (or whatever you have nearby) and get a level for fence posts. It will make leveling your stack a lot easier.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Oz-Post-Post-Level-50740/202400878

Good advice, I happen to own a few of those! Goal tomorrow is to get that fixed and get the valve openings cut out so I can get started on the patches for those areas. My welding gas bottle is starting to get pretty low, might have to take an extended lunch on Thursday and go get a refill so I can hit it hard again this weekend.

Enjoying your posts. I love what your are doing as making stuff is one of my biggest passions. I am an awful welder (having a 20+ year old MIG with no gas doesn't help) but that doesn't stop me. I really enjoy seeing welds from people that can do it right. Keep the pics coming :)

In case anyone is curious, I just thought to measure the thickness of the tank. It is 5/16", I assumed it would be 1/4" so the extra 1/16" is a bonus!

Do you mind sharing your thought process on balancing that beast on the trailer?

To be honest, when I was laying out the trailer on paper, I broke the weights down per foot so that I would get an accurate placement for the axle. I think so far I am right on as it takes almost no effort to pickup the tongue. That being said I still have the reverse flow plate, three cooking racks, the wood storage and the propane bottle to add, all of which will add to the tongue weight.

I will see if I still have my drawing, a picture of it probably makes more sense than my explanation.

Back