THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I enjoyed the video- big thanks. Of the 5, I'm on board with 4 of them... the one about the wood smoke all being the same. If they were the same, you would not have said "Hard to say. I would never put mesquite in my smoker."

hey- 4 out of 5 ain't bad, tho'

That's what I said! You saw me responding to this statement by Hank B

"Cherry is the most distinctive. Surprisingly, the cherry flavor is in the wood and heat stable. It carries over into the food and can be tasted in mild flavored foods like chicken and fish."

Gotcha. My apologies.

I gotta ask............ What does wood taste like? :pound:

I enjoyed the video. I mostly agree with, It's not the cooker, it's the pit master! :thumb:

Can you taste it or smell it?

This question alone, disqualifies anything else you have to say on the subject as you are attempting to separate the senses.

This statement indicates you don't understand the basic chemosensation system in the human body includes both smell and taste, and smell has a direct affect on tasting.

Molecules released by the substances around us stimulate special nerve cells in the nose, mouth, or throat. These cells transmit messages to the brain, where specific smells or tastes are identified,

As you eat food, some of the odor molecules of the food will enter the olfactory passages. The odors you detect become part of the food taste.

If you can't smell the difference between (as an example) hickory and mesquite - then you should probably consult with a doctor as you have and impaired sense of smell (more on that later).

The second thing you need to acknowledge is that no two human beings taste things the same way. Much like color blindness, each of our senses is individual to each person. This means that simply because YOU can't tell the difference between the specific wood used doesn't mean everyone can't tell the difference.

I would suggest that before you attempt to make broad, sweeping statements that you feel can be ubiquitously applied, you need a better understanding of the entire subject.

In this case, it includes the human body chemosensation system which you have, apparently, totally ignored.

Let me give you my personal experience with sense of taste and smell. I no longer have much of a sense of smell due to radiation therapy about 40 years ago.

I cannot smell things as strong as acetone, gasoline, diesel fuel, coffee, beer farts, much less wood smoke. I still smoke food because my wife and friends enjoy the food - but, for me it's a waste of time as I cannot taste smoked food because I cannot smell the wood smoke molecules in the food.

If you think the smoke taste is not affected by your sense of smell, you are very, very wrong.

If you can smell the difference in wood smoke - you will taste the difference in the food because the "smoke flavor" is sensed through the olfactory system and NOT your taste buds.

You might want to revise your theories on this subject...

Last edited:
I enjoyed your video. We are all students and teachers on this forum so it's always good to hear new ideas.

I agree Bigmista! My favorite part was when you said BBQ has to be cooked with wood smoke.

You got me thinking though, about the different wood tastes. I am going to have to figure out a way to equally test this out! Now that I think back, those grilled peaches I made for dessert, did taste peachy. Maybe I had charcoal that was made from peach wood :shock::confused:

This question alone, disqualifies anything else you have to say on the subject as you are attempting to separate the senses.

This statement indicates you don't understand the basic chemosensation system in the human body includes both smell and taste, and smell has a direct affect on tasting.

Molecules released by the substances around us stimulate special nerve cells in the nose, mouth, or throat. These cells transmit messages to the brain, where specific smells or tastes are identified,

As you eat food, some of the odor molecules of the food will enter the olfactory passages. The odors you detect become part of the food taste.

If you can't smell the difference between (as an example) hickory and mesquite - then you should probably consult with a doctor as you have and impaired sense of smell (more on that later).

The second thing you need to acknowledge is that no two human beings taste things the same way. Much like color blindness, each of our senses is individual to each person. This means that simply because YOU can't tell the difference between the specific wood used doesn't mean everyone can't tell the difference.

I would suggest that before you attempt to make broad, sweeping statements that you feel can be ubiquitously applied, you need a better understanding of the entire subject.

In this case, it includes the human body chemosensation system which you have, apparently, totally ignored.

Let me give you my personal experience with sense of taste and smell. I no longer have much of a sense of smell due to radiation therapy about 40 years ago.

I cannot smell things as strong as acetone, gasoline, diesel fuel, coffee, beer farts, much less wood smoke. I still smoke food because my wife and friends enjoy the food - but, for me it's a waste of time as I cannot taste smoked food because I cannot smell the wood smoke molecules in the food.

If you think the smoke taste is not affected by your sense of smell, you are very, very wrong.

If you can smell the difference in wood smoke - you will taste the difference in the food because the "smoke flavor" is sensed through the olfactory system and NOT your taste buds.

111909946_medium_dc629f.jpg

Great video Bigmista! It appears that you have certainly drawn some attention from the Illuminati!

I was waiting for you to drop a bomb all the way through... You almost got me with the type of wood doesn't matter. But then you went on to explain that the smoke is flavor, an ingredient in the recipe and I agree! I use different woods and/or combinations of woods depending on what I am smoking and the flavor profile I want. The type and ratio of different woods is just as much a part of my recipes as salt & pepper.

Keep spreading the word!

Very informative video.....but he kinda debunked himself on a couple points. One example is watch his other videos. I just watched his "Why we can't have BBQ every day" video and he clearly states (for The customers) that he can't make BBQ quickly; that it would not be a good product nor taste the same. But wait....can't good BBQ be made at 450 as per his myth video Which would be rather quick? OK maybe I caught him there, but besides as he states licking a branch....I just don't buy the smoke is the same theory.

You missed my point. Apple wood doesn't taste like apples and Peach wood doesn't taste like peaches. Fruit has a flavor. Wood doesn't.

If you have two similar smokers, smoke two racks of ribs. One with apple wood and one with peach wood. Keep all other variables the same. Then tell me you can tell the difference.

I agree with your "wood is wood" point to an extent.

But I think a more accurate approach, and even it is not completely accurate, is "wood smoke is wood smoke", because some woods smell differently when burned, and some woods impart more of a smoke taste onto food than do others.

But even the "wood smoke is wood smoke" comment isn't completely accurate.

Some woods leave a distinct smell and taste onto the surface of food.

Cedar planks for example on salmon. Though this could be the result of water evaporating from the plank as it heats up, and in this case it wouldn't be all "smoke", but actually some "steam".

But mesquite for example, leaves a distinct flavor and distinct aroma when it burns, that is different from other common woods used for barbecuing.

Last edited:

You make several good points.

However I'd simply point out the following hypothetical test with regard to some of your statement above, and no, as a health care proffesional who is familiar with head and neck radiation, I do not disagree with the gist of your post.

If many of us, who have not been irradiated, were handed the following labels:

1. hickory
2. pecan
3. oak
4. peach
5. apple
6. cherry
7. Mesquite

and given a blind test, the intent being to attach the correct label to individual plates of barbecued meats, and then proceeded to smell 7 plates of smoked chicken, 7 plates of pork, and 7 plates of beef, cooked using the above named woods....

How many of us would be able to put the correct wood label onto each plate for a perfect 21/21 or 100% score?

Many of us would get the Mesquite plates right.

But beyond that, I tend to believe that the degree of accuracy would drop.

And since smell and taste are indeed quite related, as you have already pointed out, the results and "success" of separating and assigning the correct label to each plate, would no doubt not be expected to be any better in a taste test.

The above tests could be accomplished with as much time needed, hours for example, for the aroma or taste of the prior plate to dissipate and again I doubt the results of attempts to attach the appropriate label to each plate would be good.

Another interesting point is this:

I wonder how many of those companies selling us "wood chips, or wood chunks" and such labeled "hickory", "cherry", "apple", etc, how much of that bag is actually as labeled. Or did they slip a few chunks of "apple" into that bag of "cherry"?

Last edited:
Loved the video but I agree with some of the brethren that different woods impart a different smoke taste. My go to are Apple and Peach. My kids did not enjoy Mesquite at all.

If the intent was to stir the pot and to get us to dig deeper and possibly further our bbq knowledge I would say the video was a success. Lots of great detailed posts here. :thumb:

I'm also in the 4 out of five camp. I can taste a flavor difference from wood to wood.
It's not smoke intensity, I adjust the amount of wood to keep the intensity similar.

My go-to's are Apple and hickory. Mainly use mesquite if I'm looking for a Tex-Mex tip.

VR, Harold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You make several good points.

However I'd simply point out the following hypothetical test with regard to some of your statement above, and no, as a health care proffesional who is familiar with head and neck radiation, I do not disagree with the gist of your post.

If many of us, who have not been irradiated, were handed the following labels:

1. hickory
2. pecan
3. oak
4. peach
5. apple
6. cherry
7. Mesquite

and given a blind test, the intent being to attach the correct label to individual plates of barbecued meats, and then proceeded to smell 7 plates of smoked chicken, 7 plates of pork, and 7 plates of beef, cooked using the above named woods....

How many of us would be able to put the correct wood label onto each plate for a perfect 21/21 or 100% score?

Many of us would get the Mesquite plates right.

But beyond that, I tend to believe that the degree of accuracy would drop.

And since smell and taste are indeed quite related, as you have already pointed out, the results and "success" of separating and assigning the correct label to each plate, would no doubt not be expected to be any better in a taste test.

The above tests could be accomplished with as much time needed, hours for example, for the aroma or taste of the prior plate to dissipate and again I doubt the results of attempts to attach the appropriate label to each plate would be good.

Another interesting point is this:

I wonder how many of those companies selling us "wood chips, or wood chunks" and such labeled "hickory", "cherry", "apple", etc, how much of that bag is actually as labeled. Or did they slip a few chunks of "apple" into that bag of "cherry"?

The way you structured the test would make it impossible for most as you are asking them to identify each one.

A more accurate test for this subject would be to have a person taste 2 or 3 pieces of meat and ask them if they think the same wood was used on for each, or if one or two of the pieces were smoked with other woods.

One scenario would be to have 3 pieces of chicken. 2 pieces smoked with one wood, 1 piece with some other species. Do the test two or three times. At least one of the times, substitute so that all the pieces were cooked with the same wood.

Short version. If you handed a glass of beer to most people, only a very few would be able to tell you what beer it was. But, if you hand them two glasses of beer and ask them if it's the same beer in both cups, or different beers in each, most would be able to answer correctly.

The way you structured the test would make it impossible for most as you are asking them to identify each one.

A more accurate test for this subject would be to have a person taste 2 or 3 pieces of meat and ask them if they think the same wood was used on for each, or if one or two of the pieces were smoked with other woods.

One scenario would be to have 3 pieces of chicken. 2 pieces smoked with one wood, 1 piece with some other species. Do the test two or three times. At least one of the times, substitute so that all the pieces were cooked with the same wood.

Short version. If you handed a glass of beer to most people, only a very few would be able to tell you what beer it was. But, if you hand them two glasses of beer and ask them if it's the same beer in both cups, or different beers in each, most would be able to answer correctly.

True.

But many factors come into play.

It would also depend upon how much time passed between each tasted sample.

If the first beer was still on the tongue, palate, and remainder of the oral cavity of the subject, it might be tougher for him to answer correctly.

Also if all the beers being taste tested were of the same type, Pilsner, lager, ale, blondes, ambers, stouts, etc., that could impact the discernment results, vs if the tested samples went across these lines, say using a Pilsner in one cup, an ale in the second cup.

There are literally hundreds of different beers out there. If not thousands. All the way down to home brews. Some no doubt bearing a remarkable similarity in taste to another. In other words, I'd bet that if you looked hard enough, you could find a beer that tasted like for example Budweiser, or close enough to it, that you couldn't tell the difference if blindfolded.

However when it comes to smoking meat, the selection of woods typically used for doing that are limited in the U.S.

Most smoke coming from burned wood used to cook with in this country, smells alike, or at least similar. Until you get to Mesquite and perhaps some of the fruit woods. For example, how often do you go to a cookout, competition, cook off, and take the time to identify the wood that is being burned from one pit to the next using just your nose?

If I were to burn two pieces of wood separately, say hickory and pecan, and let everyone here reading this, smell the smoke from them, not all would even be able to tell that two different woods, one hickory the other pecan, had been burned.

But beer can range widely in taste.

So this point alone makes an analogy between "wood smoke" and being able to discern it, and "beer taste" and being able to discern it, a stretch, but it's fun to try anyway.

BBQ tends to linger or leave an aftertaste. And since smell is a big part of taste, even the act of getting some of it onto your hands could influence your discernment capabilities when you went to eat the next sample.

But just saying that "something is different about this one", vs the other one, doesn't make for a positive identification, which to me is a big part of all of this.

However lets go back to your suggested testing method, using beer or BBQ.

...If you handed a glass of beer to most people, only a very few would be able to tell you what beer it was. But, if you hand them two glasses of beer and ask them if it's the same beer in both cups, or different beers in each, most would be able to answer correctly

Depends. Two lagers which were very similar in taste, "most" might not be able to. However one cup with a lager and the other with a dark, and yes, I'd agree that blindfolded, "most" would be able to answer correctly.

But OK, expand on this. Now give them three cups, and with multiple different possibilities.

1.Cups A, B, C all have the same beer.

Some of the subjects would misidentify even this.

2. Cups A and B have the same beer, while cup C has a different beer.

Depending upon how close in taste beer C is to the beer in cups A and B, many of the subjects would fail here too.

However if the beer in cup C was remarkably different in taste, then it would be easier to identify as "different" from "at least one" of the samples A or B, or both.

That said, some could still be expected to misidentify that A and B were the same beer. Some may even identify A and C as the same, or even B and C as the same, or A, B and C as the same, or A, B and C being all different.

3. Cups A and C have the same beer in them, but cup B a different beer.

Again, depending upon how marked the difference in taste is, you can expect people to misidentify that A and C as well as B were or were not the same beer.

4. Cups A, B and C all have a different beer in them. Again, some would get it right, and identify that there are three different beers. But some would identify two beers as opposed to three. And some might only identify one beer and insist that all three cups had the same beer in them.

5. Cups B and C had the came beer in them, but cup A had a different beer. Again, perhaps not all of the taste testers would even identify this.

So lets extrapolate this to the 7 different woods I mentioned in an earlier post.

Just being able to tell "there's something different about this one", only goes so far.

And to top it off, not everybody will even be able to tell that "there is something different about this one", if the choices of smoke wood were three, and they are say, "Hickory, Pecan and Oak". Many would no doubt misidentify three pieces of meat done by one each of the three, as having been done with the same wood.

Or "Apple" "Peach" and Cherry". Same thing, or some would be able to identify the cherry from the other two.

But until you got to Mesquite, I doubt that the average taste tester, would be able to discern any of the above as even being "different" from the others in the same group of three, Hickory, Oak, Pecan, or the second group of three Apple, Cherry, Peach, and some would not even be able to tell a difference between meat smoked across those two groups of three. Pecan vs peach for example.

Last edited:
Back