THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DarkStar11

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
I did our second "test turkey" tonight. The first one was on the RT680, and it turned out fine, as usual. But the RT wasn't supposed to get called to duty for that cook - it was supposed to be The Big Easy's inaugural cook! After setting up Big E last week for its first cook, the wife became concerned about the dogs burning their faces off, and protested mightily. So I set it up on top of the kettle. She didn't like that either - they might knock it down. Fine, onto the RT with it...

Still determined to try out the Big Easy, I picked up another turkey and dug some exercise pen panels out of the garage...

This set-up won her approval:
BigEZsm.jpg

And after just a hair over 2 hours, this came out of it...Didn't even need to use the reflector lid!
turkeybasketsm.jpg

This also won her approval:
carvedsm.jpg

My photography and the lighting are both poor, but it was incredibly juicy and the skin was perfect! There wasn't a lot of pre-gaming this either. It was a fresh 12# bird, out of the bag, neck and gizzards out, dried it off, injected with Cajun Butter, dusted with Q Salt, sprayed with avocado oil, and into the cooker. Rotated the basket every 30 minutes, and that was it.

Last edited:
Don't know what is accomplished by rotating the basket. The heating element runs a full circle at the bottom of the unit between the inner and outer skin of the unit. Should heat evenly all around. Never thought of turning it though. Nice looking bird by the way.

That's AWESOME making the Wife Happy :-D. No matter how the turkey turned out just the fact of her being happy makes it good. Although straight up that turkey looks delicious. Can't wait until Thursday!

Don't know what is accomplished by rotating the basket. The heating element runs a full circle at the bottom of the unit between the inner and outer skin of the unit. Should heat evenly all around. Never thought of turning it though. Nice looking bird by the way.

Thanks! I read some reviews where people were complaining about uneven cooking, and a Char Broil representative replied with "try rotating the basket during the cook". I don't understand the logic of that response, either - or if there was any that went into it.

Turkey look awesome. Isn’t the flame on these on the inside the cooker ? I’ve never seen one in action

Thanks! Yup, the bird sits in a basket that gets placed in the inner pot, and the burner is between the inner pot and the body of the grill. It has a lid, but it's mesh and is only used for reflecting heat back into the pot to get more browning, if needed.

Thanks! I read some reviews where people were complaining about uneven cooking, and a Char Broil representative replied with "try rotating the basket during the cook". I don't understand the logic of that response, either - or if there was any that went into it.

Yours looks Great! As to uneven cooking, It has to do with even seasoning of the SS chamber. Even season, even cook. I have a dog and never had a problem. They sense the heat further away than humans do although I completely understand the Wife aspect. Good fix.

Back