THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been thinking of making the poor-man's Vortex with a stainless steel bowl... and I just bought some (cheap) leg quarters... I think I know what I'll be making for supper tomorrow night.

I've been thinking of making the poor-man's Vortex with a stainless steel bowl... and I just bought some (cheap) leg quarters... I think I know what I'll be making for supper tomorrow night.
That should work. Until I find a cheap bowl, this is what I use.
picture.php

I just ordered two shakers from OwensBBQ (a brethren company) Fastest I've ran out of any rubb.

I'm one of the few Vortex owners out there that thinks I get the same results on chicken with or without it. I still use it in my kettle from time to time but never bothered trying it in the Summit.

Thanks, I don't get crazy with the trimming, just cut off the globs of fat. I find pricking a few holes in the skin, helps it render, and get a little crispier. You certainly don't have to do it, but it doesn't take long, and the crispy skin is my favorite part of a chicken. And yes, the chicken is very juicy.

I was wondering about the skin pricking! Thanks for clarifying. I'm definitely going to try that method on my next chicken cook!

Holy Crap Josh!

Just noticed the Boulevard quad. Good stuff!

There are so many good beers out there, it is hard to pick favorites, but it is quite possibly in the top 5 beers I have had, and definitely in the top 10.

Nice looking chicken Josh! I like my vortex for doing wings especially, have to give it a try next time I do thighs.

Nice looking chicken Josh! I like my vortex for doing wings especially, have to give it a try next time I do thighs.

I have tried both now, and the cooking is pretty much identical. I thought the thighs would take longer, but about 45 minutes on both. I was really surprised how much smoke they picked up in that amount of time.

Vortex uses that rock: Wings, ABT's, brats. Place around the Vortex and never have to worry about flipping or flare ups. Put the meat on, rotate the lid a quarter turn every 10 minutes and about 45 minutes later you're ready to eat.

Have tried several times with steak for a reverse sear, but wife and family just do not like that technique.

I have never tried the charcoal basket method even though I have a couple of sets.

I also have a Slow N Sear and just do not use it very often. Thought it would be good for reverse sear, but again, family prefers the traditional cooking method for steak. I have smokers, so not going to use it for low and slow.

Robert

... The mesquite, overpowered the rub, ...
i feel your pain. I did the same thing yesterday. I saw that you mentioned cherry or apple and I think either will work. Cherry is an interesting wood to smoke with. The cherry flavor survives the heat and you can taste it in the meat, particularly with something as mild flavored as chicken.

Back