THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

believe it or not I did a Google search looking for the best picture of a MAK 1 Star and that's the one I found. I guess that's yours?

Yep, that was the ole’ MAK 1 Star that started it all for me. Serial #69... an oldie. I bought it used, and now a fellow Brethren owns its... and its still happily chugging away :)

I'd love to get in on this deal for a new 2* but I'd need to move our well cared for 2017 model, maybe if someone semi close to me who can't quite swallow the price tag for a a new one can take this off my hands, I'll jump in :-D

nBDYr9mh.jpg

2nd annual MAK Brethren Group Buy deal is almost here [emoji4]

I'd love to get in on this deal for a new 2* but I'd need to move our well cared for 2017 model, maybe if someone semi close to me who can't quite swallow the price tag for a a new one can take this off my hands, I'll jump in :-D

nBDYr9mh.jpg

A true Brethren! This 2 Star has a lot of good juju... I can attest to that :)

Pic

Love that you keep it so clean.

Something I'm curious about - and perhaps this should be a topic for a whole other thread. How many MAK owners here have, use, and like the Wi-Fi option (I think it's an option)? The reasons I ask: My MB560 has Wi-Fi - never found it worth a darn, most of the time it didn't work on my phone, so I uninstalled the app and just walk up to the grill, push buttons and turn dials. The SmokeFire has it, complete with programs to help you cook or something. Not impressed with the app so far. I walk up to it and push buttons and turn the dial. The dinosaur Rec Tec, I have a new controller for it that has Wi-Fi. It's still sitting in the shipping box, because the old controller works just fine and I never got around to it. The InkBird works good for monitoring grate and meat temps, and I can move it between cookers as desired and just have 1 app on the phone. It's probably just me being strange - I opted to buy a dumb water heater without Wi-Fi, too...

Last edited:
The early versions of the SmokeFire app were poor. Then they improved the app, but broke notifications. CampChef had the best app I’ve seen yet.

For the MAK, I think you are going to hear that most people that have it use it. My understanding is that if you adjust the temp using the controller it turns off the WiFi, so the only button I’ve been using on my Pellet Boss is the power button. I was scared of what a website vs an app was going to be like, but I like it so far. The interface is logical and I like the charting that’s kinda like fireboard lite and you can save sessions and setup programs. I haven’t been able to try any programs yet. Text notifications have worked great.

Now, I just have to consciously remember not to try to adjust the temp on the controller as I’ve been able to do that for years with other grills. It’s a little odd to be standing right in front of the controller and digging out your phone to change the temp.

Long and/or overnight cooks, I’ll still be using the fireboard. To much power with alerts there to watch for flameout, fire, repeat them after x minutes so I don’t keep sleeping through an issue, etc.

I started out without the wifi, but added it as ... a birthday present(?) I really didn't think I needed or even wanted it because I don't do technology overly well. I justified it by not wanting to walk out to the Mak to check on the temperature in the snow. I'd have to say that it is one of the easiest things I do on my computer. I just turn on the smoker outside, walk to my computer and adjust the temperature as I see fit. It is two clicks with the mouse. I have even input some recipes -- if you can call them that -- they are really reminders. I'll write things like "Hamburgers 350* 3-3" for instance, to remind me that the hamburgers cook 3 minutes per side at 350*. I just click that button when I'm making hamburgers and the temperature automatically goes to 350* and I just have to remember to flip them at the three minute mark. My memory is poor and I write things down in a book, but it's much easier to just modify the recipe on the app itself and the temp is programmed in. There are a whole bunch of other inputs if you want to get fancy, but this works great for me. I subscribe to KISS.

The lack of low and high alerts, is a real shame. When I realized it could do logging like my fireboard, I was practically sold on the wifi. But The low temp alarms let me sleep at night, so I guess I can skip that accessory.

I just noticed that the MAK site doesn't have very many reviews for their grills. I would think as a thank you to MAK for their great products and the group buy incentive, we should all post honest reviews on their site after we've had a chance to use our new grills. I know when considering a purchase I look at all the reviews I can find to help me in my purchase decision.

I just noticed that the MAK site doesn't have very many reviews for their grills. I would think as a thank you to MAK for their great products and the group buy incentive, we should all post honest reviews on their site after we've had a chance to use our new grills. I know when considering a purchase I look at all the reviews I can find to help me in my purchase decision.

That would be awesome!

Someone please tell me why I don't need this! I have a PBC, Weber Gasser and Kettle. I am settled on the 1 Star but "possibly" considering the 2 Star.

Huge investment for me but like others said, pay once cry once.

If I get the 1 Star I would probably just get one grate and the cover as accessories. Question, which size grate should I get?

No tax, free shipping and the brethren group buy make this too good to pass up.

Back