THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm about ready to throw in the towel on any cast iron here in the Pacific Northwet!

I have CI grates on my Genesis and a CI insert for the Performer and no matter how much I use them, they rust and flake away. Even my Lodge Hibachi turns to rust! When they wear out I'm going to go Stainless steel.

Do you clean it after you cook on it? I live on the Gulf of Mexico and everyone that I know that has the same problem cleans their grates after every cook. I don't clean until right before I light the grill and have not had a problem with rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am bumping this thread, because I really want some OEM-style stainless steel cooking grates for my kettles, and am not finding what I want. I want what looks like a simple, standard Weber grate, but made out of stainless steel.

Is such a thing available?

cD

Yes. Weber makes SS replacement grates.

Do you clean it after you cook on it? I live on the Gulf of Mexico and everyone that I know that has the same problem cleans their grates after every cook. I don't clean until right before I light the grill and have not had a problem with rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are doing it right. Leave the gunk on until the next cook. Get it up to temp and brush the grate. The fire sterilizes the grilling surface.

I called Weber's 800 number and ordered two 22.5" stainless grates for a total of $54, including shipping. $27 each delivered to my door seemed like a great deal.

The grates have been used many times in my UDS and they are wonderful. Easy cleanup and no rust. The ones I purchased do not have the flip up sides, but for the UDS I didn't need that feature anyway.

Back