THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll let the TD mods give an official answer, but instant coffee is not the same as ground coffee. Instant coffee is freeze dried (or some other miracle process) so that it dissolves in hot water to make something brown and vaguely coffee-like :-D

I'll let the TD mods give an official answer, but instant coffee is not the same as ground coffee. Instant coffee is freeze dried (or some other miracle process) so that it dissolves in hot water to make something brown and vaguely coffee-like :-D

Ron is correct, so instant coffee is out.

Thanks but do we have to start with whole coffee beans and show the grinding process or would standard already ground coffee be acceptable?

Sorry to be a pest but better to ask now than later.

Thanks Guys!

Mike,

To answer your question, yes. As the basket reads "Fresh Cilantro", you must use that unless it can't be found, and that's not likely in most parts of the U.S.

It can't be found here so I plan on using parsley per the rules as clearly defined. If that means a DQ please tell me now before I put time and money into an entry.

It can't be found here so I plan on using parsley per the rules as clearly defined. If that means a DQ please tell me now before I put time and money into an entry.

Ummm...Mongo? You having a bad day or something? :confused: You seem a tad grumpy. :mmph:

The rules state that if you can't find fresh cilantro locally, you can substitute fresh parsley.

You are good to go. :thumb:

Good to go you are. :thumb::thumb:

Now come get a big 'ol group hug from everyone here and unleash your culinary masterpiece!

:grouphug:

Mongo they are merciless about these rules, I know just what you mean brutha!
Why, I have driven all over this farkin' city looking for whole chicken wings.
Do you think I can find any???
Nup.
Every
farking
place
has
them
without
farking feathers!!:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Mongo they are merciless about these rules, I know just what you mean brutha!
Why, I have driven all over this farkin' city looking for whole chicken wings.
Do you think I can find any???
Nup.
Every
farking
place
has
them
without
farking feathers!!:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :tsk::tsk::tsk:

Buccs,

You can put the feathers back on those wings if you so wish...no problem. :thumb:

BUT THEY MUST COME FROM THE SAME BIRD AND YOU MUST SHOW PROOF!

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

:laugh:

I am requesting a point of clarification on the use of my coriander. My entry as posted includes fresh cilantro that has been frozen. The French translation for Cilantro is "coriandre"

Please advise if this is acceptable A.S.A.P before someone, near and dear to me, receives a quadruple flavored dilly bar.:confused:

Ummm...Mongo? You having a bad day or something? :confused: You seem a tad grumpy. :mmph:

The rules state that if you can't find fresh cilantro locally, you can substitute fresh parsley.

You are good to go. :thumb:

Good to go you are. :thumb::thumb:

Now come get a big 'ol group hug from everyone here and unleash your culinary masterpiece!

:grouphug:

Mongo may like candy but no like Dilly Bars or special rules within special rules. Mongo now off grumpy horse and appreciates clarification. :thumb:

I am requesting a point of clarification on the use of my coriander. My entry as posted includes fresh cilantro that has been frozen. The French translation for Cilantro is "coriandre"

Please advise if this is acceptable A.S.A.P before someone, near and dear to me, receives a quadruple flavored dilly bar.:confused:
Jed, I am conferring with Moose on the use of fresh cilantro that has been frozen and we will advise soon.

BTW, the first time I tried to cook a recipe from an Indian friend's wife, I went to 3 different Indian grocers trying to track down green coriander as that was what was listed in the recipe. Finally at the last one, the lady told me I could find it at the Kroger across the street and that Americans call it cilantro :wink:

Jed, I am conferring with Moose on the use of fresh cilantro that has been frozen and we will advise soon.

BTW, the first time I tried to cook a recipe from an Indian friend's wife, I went to 3 different Indian grocers trying to track down green coriander as that was what was listed in the recipe. Finally at the last one, the lady told me I could find it at the Kroger across the street and that Americans call it cilantro :wink:
Some say tomato, I say , ah heck, I don't know what I call it! :oops:

Some say tomato, I say , ah heck, I don't know what I call it! :oops:

Well, if you kept asking for tomatoes when you were looking for cilantro, it's no wonder you didn't find any. :crazy:

I'd suggest you ask for "coriandre" -- I heard from someone living in France, that's what they call it there. :thumb:

Well, if you kept asking for tomatoes when you were looking for cilantro, it's no wonder you didn't find any. :crazy:

I'd suggest you ask for "coriandre" -- I heard from someone living in France, that's what they call it there. :thumb:
Finally, the voice of reason arrives and saves the day! Thanks again Phizzy!

Jed,

Moose and I have discussed this and so long as the cilantro/coriander was never dried, but just fresh cilantro/coriander leaves that have been frozen to preserve the herb, we accept it.

Jed,

Moose and I have discussed this and so long as the cilantro/coriander was never dried, but just fresh cilantro/coriander leaves that have been frozen to preserve the herb, we accept it.

What about canned? If the coriander leaves were canned to preserve the herb, is that acceptable?

Also I noticed in the special ingredients, "Hot Pepper(s)Can be any kind of hot pepper, including fresh, pickled or canned." You may want to clarify that these cannot be frozen peppers, because then they wouldn't be "hot". :caked:

What about canned? If the coriander leaves were canned to preserve the herb, is that acceptable?

Also I noticed in the special ingredients, "Hot Pepper(s)Can be any kind of hot pepper, including fresh, pickled or canned." You may want to clarify that these cannot be frozen peppers, because then they wouldn't be "hot". :caked:
Canned in tin? Are you trying to find a way to work your melted tin shadow puppet into a recipe? :twitch:

It is not dried, therefore it stands.

The label

Translation:

a few hours after harvesting the cilantro is washed, cut and frozen.
its aromatic qualities will enhance your preperations of meat, vegetable and fish. Now I am going to look for a canned variety to keep Phizzy happy!

Bonne Aprés Midi

Back