THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome! I'm just looking forward to going to my first comp just to see what its like!

Great job!

This one was overwhelming because it was my first one against an open field of competitors (the other being backyard grillers only, no custom rigs allowed and cost no more than $500).

The teams with the huge smoker pits on the trailer and with 12 people showing up with team shrits will look intimidating...they intimidated the hell out me! Half of the teams may be a catering business. A team even showed up with a Lang smoker (jealous!).

Don't be so sure they're there to win...they got a few walks but didn't do all that well.

Good luck on your first time out!

I was there cooking as "The Man The Grill, The Magic" and saw the "KING" kick some fanny. I was lucky enough to finish 3rd in Chefs Choice and got 4th in both pork steaks and ribs. Over all very happy with my finish, This was a tough competition as the "KING" said. But my UDS and Weber kettle held their own.

Tell us about those pork steak

Pork steaks are a St. Louis delicacy, they are simply a bone-in whole pork butt sliced into steaks by the butcher. Thickness is typically 3/4 inch, but can be as thick as 2 inches. They're mostly found ready to buy in the midwest, but I'm sure any butcher can do it for you.

Congrats. How do u cook pork steaks? I accidents cooked them well one time but can never replicate. Any advice would be great.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Congrats. How do u cook pork steaks? I accidents cooked them well one time but can never replicate. Any advice would be great.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I cook them a variety of ways.

My favorite way to cook pork steaks:
1. Coat them with a rib rub
2. Sear the steaks
3. Place them in a deep foil pan
4. Pour in Maul's BBQ sauce and Budwieser into the foil pan
5. Cook until tender
6. Reverse sear to blacken the sauce a little bit.
7. Dunk it in the sauce and serve.

This isn't what I did for the contest, that process is a lot more involved. The recipe above is simple and tastes just as good.

Again, I appreciate everyone's support!

Lot's folks come up to me and ask if I sell my BBQ. When I tell them I do it for fun, I get some crazy stares. I don't have sponsors, but I have family that knows my passion for BBQ and many gifts, from various occasions, I receive from them support my addiction. I have 2 sons that are still too young (2 & 3 y/o) to help, but they are showing interest.

In addition, I'm meeting a lot of folks that are fun to be around and there are some that I meet that are very important in the culinary and BBQ world. I want to build those relationships before I get too serious about BBQ. If anything, I guess I'm building a foundation for life in retirement...in about 32 years!

Back