THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imagechanges

Found some matches.
HI all, I'm new here, I found it online by searching for information on the Kamado smoker I recently obtained. Took me a few days to get approved, but so glad I'm here.

Last weekened I was at a BBQ with some friends and he mentioned he had a smoker he wanted to get rid of and asked anyone if they wanted it. He just said it was a Kamado. I've always wanted one, so I immediately said I wanted it and went to take a look at it. At first glance it didn't look like anything special at all, but after spending a few minutes looking at it, I loaded it in my car.

I did some google searches and haven't been able to find another exactly like it. The one I have is the smaller one, and I did find a few of ones that were larger. The info I could gather was that it was made in Japan, in the 1960's, and is rare.

The condition is pretty good. The lid on the top is missing a small piece on one side. Other than that the paint is chipped and worn on the side. The fire ring has 2 cracks in it, but its still in tact. The fire bowl is in 4 pieces but sits together perfectly. I'm going to get some furnace cement later today to fix that. And its missing the metal door at the bottom. Other than that, it's in awesome condition.

Oh, it doesn't have a stand, instead it has 4 turtles used on all 4 sides to hold it up off the ground.

I was wondering if any of you had more inf on this thing, or any tips on refurbishing it, or even were I could get spare parts or what it might be worth?

Any info would be appreciated.

I've attached the following pictures.
kamado-hibachi-pot-2.jpg

kamado-hibachi-pot-1.jpg

kamado-hibachi-pot-3.jpg

Welcome to the BBQ Brethren!

I have one just like that one. I'm having problems loading all your photos right now (I'm on my phone) but when I get to my computer I will try to help in more detail. There are many brethren that use the kamado as a smoker, me included.

this is what looks like on the inside:

inside.jpg

I'm going to get some furnace cement to repair the bowl, and I cleaned it out tonight, and it looks awesome.

Looks good!

Heres the deal. I would not touch the inside. Slow smoking out of it will hold it together with all of the rich black cooking resins.

Things you need to get it up and running.

1) The small plate at the very bottom.

2) Small metal grate to put your Coals on.

3) Metal grate that will sit on top of your fire box for the food.

4) Adjustable vent for the top. I believe the one you have was used to help put out the coals.

5) A new metal vent for the bottom. I always use a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil for the bottom vent. You can adjust it open, closed and move it out of the way with ease.

I will try to post some photos later today that will help you understand what the heck I'm talking about.

I think I have the same one as you. If I remember it is about 15" diameter grate.

Attachments

• IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 258
I should have mentioned the things not pictured. I do have a metal grate for the food, and I have a round concrete plate looking thing with holes in it that I assume goes down in the bottom. Pictures would be awesome.

you don't suggest putting the fire bowl back together?

Looks good!

Heres the deal. I would not touch the inside. Slow smoking out of it will hold it together with all of the rich black cooking resins.

Things you need to get it up and running.

1) The small plate at the very bottom.

2) Small metal grate to put your Coals on.

3) Metal grate that will sit on top of your fire box for the food.

4) Adjustable vent for the top. I believe the one you have was used to help put out the coals.

5) A new metal vent for the bottom. I always use a piece of cardboard wrapped in tin foil for the bottom vent. You can adjust it open, closed and move it out of the way with ease.

I will try to post some photos later today that will help you understand what the heck I'm talking about.

It cooks like a champ. It is the newest of my Kamados so I have not really used it that much. It was a Craigslist rescue for cheap and all the original parts were in pretty good shape. I will take some pics of all the parts and share them with you as soon as I get a chance.

Here she is with her big sister being fitted into her new home.

Attachments

• IMAG0796.jpg
    IMAG0796.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 251
just out of curiosity?
what do you think it is worth?

It cooks like a champ. It is the newest of my Kamados so I have not really used it that much. It was a Craigslist rescue for cheap and all the original parts were in pretty good shape. I will take some pics of all the parts and share them with you as soon as I get a chance.

Here she is with her big sister being fitted into her new home.

This is the type of lid I'm talking about. This will allow you to adjust the airflow from the top.
IMG_1396.jpg

This is a seasoned smoker.
IMG_6879_zps7e146f41.jpg

Forget about #2, the Small metal grate to put your Coals on. Just a morning brain fart. It is not needed. All you need is that small plate that fits in that hole.

See the shiny black walls on the inside of the smoker. Thats what you want the inside of your kamado to look like. It will hold everything together on the inside. A few cracks on the inside is not a big deal. its when you get cracks on the outside, thats when you have a problem.
IMG_6882_zpsd1ad5453.jpg

Also, they hate high heat, TEMPS OVER 400 DEGREES could crack your kamado and DO NOT LEAVE IT OUT IN THE RAIN. They will fall apart from moisture.

I use a maverick thermometer to keep an eye on the temps.

Don't forget the gasket.

oh lord, i just scraped all that stuff out of mine, because I had planned on cementing the bowl back together. its not cracked its broken into 4 pieces.

that type of lid wont work for me, i dont have a way to screw it on

This is the type of lid I'm talking about. This will allow you to adjust the airflow from the top.
IMG_1396.jpg

This is a seasoned smoker.
IMG_6879_zps7e146f41.jpg

Forget about #2, the Small metal grate to put your Coals on. Just a morning brain fart. It is not needed. All you need is that small plate that fits in that hole.

See the shiny black walls on the inside of the smoker. Thats what you want the inside of your kamado to look like. It will hold everything together on the inside. A few cracks on the inside is not a big deal. its when you get cracks on the outside, thats when you have a problem.
IMG_6882_zpsd1ad5453.jpg

Also, they hate high heat, TEMPS OVER 400 DEGREES could crack your kamado and DO NOT LEAVE IT OUT IN THE RAIN. They will fall apart from moisture.

I use a maverick thermometer to keep an eye on the temps.

Don't forget the gasket.

A big green egg steel vent will work on the outlet. They just sit over the top.
This one is for a large BGE but it works on the smaller Kamado. Just have to make sure it does not fall off when you open the lid.

Attachments

• IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 214
oh lord, i just scraped all that stuff out of mine, because I had planned on cementing the bowl back together. its not cracked its broken into 4 pieces.

that type of lid wont work for me, i dont have a way to screw it on

It will build back up real fast.
There is no harm in trying to repair the broken parts, I just don't think its necessary. The way you have it now is fine. Those parts will not go anywhere. They will just get seasoned together as you cook.

This is the kamado I have that is just like yours. Notice the damage on the outside from it being left out in the rain. The insides are gone as well so I have never used it. Ive never understood the lid because all it does is prevent the airflow from coming out the top so I guess you would have to cook wide open.
IMG_0918_zps817be63b.jpg

This is the lid on my large kamado. I adjust it to control the temps. Ebay has lids for sale that will adjust like the one I have.
IMG_0914_zps3b41ee27.jpg

This is the vent on the bottom. Just a hole. This is how I adjust the air intake. Ebay also sells adjustable lower vents.
IMG_0917_zpsd94cda1d.jpg

IMG_0915_zps211597c4.jpg

yeah, i didnt know that the green eggs stuff worked on these, so i looked around and found a few places that should have them. THis is great news.

I noticed you haven't painted yours, any reason why?

also, are these worth anything being vintage?

A big green egg steel vent will work on the outlet. They just sit over the top.
This one is for a large BGE but it works on the smaller Kamado. Just have to make sure it does not fall off when you open the lid.

yeah, i didnt know that the green eggs stuff worked on these, so i looked around and found a few places that should have them. THis is great news.

I noticed you haven't painted yours, any reason why?

also, are these worth anything being vintage?

I think painting them takes away from their character and value.

As far as value goes, you would be lucky to get 200.00 for it in working condition only because its so small and there are so many newer smokers on the market today.

Now, thats my opinion. Craigslist or ebay will let you know the real value but I never see them sell for much. Most people don't know what they are so that does not help much when trying to sell it.

I paid 240.00 for my large kamado and it sat on craigslist for weeks. Ive been using it for so long now that I don't think I would part with it.

One more photo of my green kamado. This thing is the large model. Notice the ears on the lid. I believe this one is over 50 years old. Its a keeper! :becky:

IMG_1400.jpg

I concur with everything that Silverfinger said about painting and the intrinsic value of the Kamados. They are worth what ever someone is willing to pay for them. I got my large one off of Craigslist, they wanted $400 and it had all new BGE parts inside with a new cast iron grate. I offered to trade for some work and they just happened to need some of what I do so it was like free for me and them. The small one I got off of Craigslist as well they wanted $100 and offered $60 and they took it. They knew absolutely nothing about it. All parts are original and in great shape. I have been lucky enough that I have not had to restore anything but when I have to I will do what I have to in order to keep it.

Back