THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lashing1c

Knows what a fatty is.
Finally got around to smoking this hunk of meat last night for a crew at a local bar I go to that closes during the winter months. They had just finished the shut down and a friend of mine gave me this to smoke along with some 13-15 shrimp. Thank you to all the brethren that helped out with your ideas and letting me know what I had in the first place. Special Thanks to PATIODADDIO for his help and messaging me back along with PYLE'S BBQ. It was a choice cut so it had a lot of fat I trimmed off it. In the picture you can see a small pile. I think is was probably about 11 lbs after trimming.

2012-11-079514.08.55.jpg

See my first post. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THIS PIECE OF MEAT WAS
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145380

What to do was my next post.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2258591

I did it with a diffuser plate on this UDS
2012-05-019517.45.19.jpg

Here our the stats of the Cook.

Smoking Wood=Cherry

Smoker Set Up=Diffuser plate on lower rack with meat on a rack that is
litearally resting on the diffuser plate

Temp=270 below grate about 195 on first grate above diffuser. My thought is the temp at meat level was around 210-220.

Time/Temp of meat=4.5 hours. I cut the meat in 2 pieces so there was a few more end cuts as some of people preferred that meal. I got the internal temp to 128 then let rest for 15 minutes then did the sear(see below)

Spices=Montreal Steak seasonING with a mustard slather to make it stick

I then followed this method by Patiodaddio from a post he did on Smoking Prime Rib
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74822

I RECOMMEND THIS READ HIGHLY IF YOU PLAN TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. IT WAS MY BIBLE DURING THIS COOK!!!

Here is me cutting my sides for Hobo Potatoes(New Reds, Onions) when cooked add Onion soup mix and butter

2012-11-089513.36.56.jpg

Did simple moink balls using Spicy Montreal and Secret Stadium Sauce (a brewers and Miller Park special) for an app when the people arrived

2012-11-089514.51.37.jpg

You can kinda see the meat under the moink balls if you look real hard!

Did some Grilled Shrimp using Old Bay on Weber Kettle(no pron) on high heat but they were some of the biggest shrimp I have personally ever eaten.

Grilled Aspargus seasoned with EVOO+S&P also done on a high heat (no pron)

Finished meal was on my plate

2012-11-089518.14.25.jpg

Then as people where leaving I almost forgot I had baked dessert earlier in the week

Pecan Cresent Roll Bars (Cream Cheese, Crescent Roll Crust, Pecan topping)

2012-11-099504.01.56.jpg

Made some Au Jus using beef base, fresh thyme, drippings, and red wine

Also did some Horsey Sauce using Sour Cream, Mayo, Dijon Mustard, Chives See in corner of picture.

THANKS FOR READING AND ALL YOUR HELP IN MAKING THIS ONE AWESOME MEAL!! GOT ALOT OF GREAT COMMENTS. ALSO, FINALLY GOT OF MY LAZY CHEAP %$# AND PURCHASED A SUBCRIPTION!!

Wow buddy, you NAILED that one!! You keep making grub like that and the bar is gonna stay open during the winter just for your food! Nicely done :thumb:

Back