$109 Pit Boss 5-Series Vertical Pellet Smoker

I guess I can understand that. I choose not to use any of my cookers in the rain regardless of power source. To each their own. However, it seems the original bone of contention was whether or not it was operator error on the part of your fellow New Yorker and it was certainly operator error.

IMO, his only error was buying that POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, his only error was buying that POS.

Buying the POS may have been his first mistake, but using it in a way that the manual explicitly advises against was number two for sure. Seems like plenty of other people are using the POS without issues like this though. I love it for making jerky especially.

Not to add fuel to this debate... but... smh.. Everyone operates their grills the way they choose, but when accidents happens by not following the owners manual instructions... It’s always wise to operate your grill with caution and common sense especially in inclement weather and all pellet grill manufacturers have warnings about operating their devices in rain and water.
1. Direct quote from MAK Grills FAQ page... MY AUGER IS JAMMED WITH PELLETS—WHAT DO I DO?
BBQ wood pellets are nothing more than compressed hardwood sawdust that is extruded*into a pellet shape. If the pellets absorb moisture (either from rain or ambient moisture in*the air) they break back down into sawdust and swell with the moisture.* This creates an*almost cement-like mess, which takes a good bit of work to clear out.* This is why we*recommend that if you are not using your grill for 1-2*weeks or more, especially during rainy*weather, you empty your hopper and burn through whatever pellets are in the auger tube. Should your auger tube get jammed with decomposed pellets: End Quote... So no Pellet Grill is immune from issues caused by inclement weather, rain or water... if it hasn’t happened yet, one day it could.
2. Can You operate your grill in the rain? Yes, but with common sense and caution... Perhaps use a canopy, cover the hopper with a weather proof cover and keep the electrical cords out of water... FFT... Everyone is free to operate their pellet grills as they see fit, just don’t complain when the “Opps” happens during a down pour because your Pellet Grill was not covered or protected... These investments are worth at least cover and a canopy... .02

OK, if anyone paid the real price for the Copperhead please disregard this comment and call Pit Boss with your concerns. Otherwise, if you are on this thread you likely paid $109 for a large cooker that plenty of us are very happy with given the price. I invested another $18 on the off-brand cover, have never had to empty pellets and store it in my back yard covered but with no patio or anything all day all the time. It is not that hard to figure out that a hopper that if lifted opens straight to the rain is going to get water in and that wet pellets will destroy your auger. Besides that, I have found the auger in this thing great at churning through too large pellets etc. The only issue I have had is the display. The numbers pretty much go blank when sunny and when the pit heats up. They sent me a new controller when I emailed them about it, but to be honest I am not that worried about replacing it unless the issue becomes something I can't compensate for with one of the many remote thermometers I have lying around.

I have this image of someone buying a $100 COS and complaining that it doesn't hold temp like a Jambo.

Last edited:
Forseeing a rain shower 8 hours in advance on a 10 hr cook is not realistic.

Man, this made me laugh. You’re using all the tech on a pellet cooker but can’t download an app or check the weather forecast in advance to check for rain showers? It may be hard to predict down to the minute but rain doesn’t come out of nowhere.

First.... this POS smoker is stored in the garage. It got caught out in the rain during a cook as I already stated same as has my camp chef a dozen times. Camp Chef.... no issues!

This Pit Boss has an issue with water getting into the hopper by design. I thought I’d bring that to anyone’s attention who might want to use it outside where it’s supposed to be used without erecting a protective enclosure to keep this POS dry. If you still want to buy it go right ahead. Enjoy digging the swollen pellets out of the auger and remember this post when you’re doing it.

What idiot never experienced a pop up thundershower? Convection = condensation = rain. Yeah it happens right over you. Happens everyday in good old GA. BTW... I’m an airline pilot with a major in meteorology. I don’t think you want to debate weather with me.

Last edited:
What idiot never experienced a pop up thundershower? Convection = condensation = rain. Yeah it happens right over you. Happens everyday in good old GA. BTW... I’m an airline pilot with a major in meteorology. I don’t think you want to debate weather with me.

That’s what we call an exception and not the rule. Plus I took several classes of meteorology on my way to my geography/computer science degree. I’ll welcome the debate.

Ok, I'll help out anyone near me who is disgusted with the design and potential for rain to get to the pellets in a pop-up shower. I will be more than happy to take your Cooperhead and give it a good home under my covered smoking porch where it never rains (even in GA). I will even buy it from you for the $109 you paid (plus appropriate tax as well). Just PM me.

I might even be interested in one with a dead controller (but not for $109). I have a plan to fix that as well.

"Do you know who I am?" :blah:
Lol, this is all I could think from that post

cd0eabbf88c84abf23bb26a6026f8e55.jpg
dcf861b4e01c4854442a951e19f85269.jpg
5aecc73a7864a3464a3ed6b552df4822.jpg
a6dd20ab3c2d12b5d61d0ea08c23e6b9.jpg
d8c5b63b8a0aa363b685f0811c372813.jpg
19348bba729d04dd3d00c9b9737b2e87.jpg
02377937f06d6ed1917a831a75632bd8.jpg

First.... this POS smoker is stored in the garage. It got caught out in the rain during a cook as I already stated same as has my camp chef a dozen times. Camp Chef.... no issues!

This Pit Boss has an issue with water getting into the hopper by design. I thought I’d bring that to anyone’s attention who might want to use it outside where it’s supposed to be used without erecting a protective enclosure to keep this POS dry. If you still want to buy it go right ahead. Enjoy digging the swollen pellets out of the auger and remember this post when you’re doing it.

It doesn't matter how you try to slice it, this is 100% operator error. You ignored the directions provided to you and you broke your smoker. Now you blame the manufacturer and call their product a POS even though you did something that was specifically advised against. This is an example of why online reviews can't always be trusted.

It doesn't matter how you try to slice it, this is 100% operator error. You ignored the directions provided to you and you broke your smoker. Now you blame the manufacturer and call their product a POS even though you did something that was specifically advised against. This is an example of why online reviews can't always be trusted.

Congrats. You won. Can we all move on?

So, you're challenging. Yuuuge, mistake.

jAson is a jEd Masteri. Imagine dat'.

That dude could out-cook you after 5, Fo Lokos.!!

4 real, doe.

Back