THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
DSC_0254_zpsnxiofg9k.jpg

We’ve been making this salsa for years as an accompaniment to freshly fried tortilla chips, and is very similar to the roasted salsas I’ve had in better Mexican restaurants. This is the first time I’ve actually written the recipe down, and the last time I made it I added two chile de arbols, which gave the salsa a greater depth of flavor. This one came out spectacularly well, so here's the recipe:

8 Roma Tomatoes
2 Jalapenos
2 Chiles de arbol, stems and seeds removed
1 clove garlic
1/8-1/4 cup diced onion
¼ cup cilantro(optional)
1 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 tsp fresh lime juice
Black Pepper
2 tsp sea salt

Cut the tomatoes in half, then core them out using a spoon. Cut one jalapeno in ½ lengthwise, and remove seeds and core. Place tomatoes and jalapeño on a baking sheet, and put under broiler setting in oven. When tomatoes and jalapeno start to blacken, turn them on the other side, and add garlic. When both sides are about 50% blackened, remove from oven and let cool.

Heat up a cast iron skillet to medium heat, and toast the arbols lightly, for about 1 minute, frequently turning, and remove them from the skillet as soon as they start to show a bit of color from the toasting. If you wait too long to remove them from the heat, the chiles will be bitter, so be watchful on this step.

Once everything is fully cooled, add all ingredients to a food processor or blender, and blend till it’s pureed. Be careful not to over blend. You may need to add a bit of water if it's too thick.

The cilantro is optional. With or without, the salsa tastes great, just different.

DSC_0257_zpswbtgz0zh.jpg

Do you totally core the tomatoes? Or do you just squeeze out the seeds 'n stuff? I give em a squeeze and stick my finger in there to get all the stuff out of there.

Do you totally core the tomatoes? Or do you just squeeze out the seeds 'n stuff? I give em a squeeze and stick my finger in there to get all the stuff out of there.

I completely core them, it's a lot less messy.

My recipe is similar to yours, although I use smoked salt and I keep the tomatoes whole, but after the broil step, I put the tomatoes in a plastic bag to steam, then I remove the skin before blending. I will also sometimes use guajillo peppers rether than arbol, and sometimes I will toss a Serrano in there for good measure.
My garden's messed up this year, and I only now have some jalapenos ready. I have already harvested a dozen Serranos from one of my plants, and more show up every day. The Mrs. likes her salsa, so I will be able to grab Romas, jalapenos, and Serranos from the garden soon for a real tasty salsa.

"a lot less messy"

I suppose I could use a spoon.

But I got the "washable" option on my fingers- so I got that going for me.

After the food processor you don't saute in a skillet? Everytime I have used a blender it adds air bubbles and makes it pink. I will give it a shot though, I love salsa.

After the food processor you don't saute in a skillet? Everytime I have used a blender it adds air bubbles and makes it pink. I will give it a shot though, I love salsa.

I absolutely don't cook this - it's not that kind of salsa. I blend on low and don't get any air bubbles.

Do you really measure the teaspoon amounts or wing it?
>
>
>
>
>
I've been accused of winging those fractional amounts..... :rolleyes:

Normally, no, but this last time I did as I wanted to provide an accurate recipe, more or less. :thumb:

I did smoked sauce this weekend with Hatch chilis. They were much hotter than I expected. Had to grill a bunch more tomatoes to dilute the heat to my liking.

Back