THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Hey guys! I got a nice side of Atlantic salmon for a job last week and it was cancelled so I've had this thing in my freezer. Was gonna keep it to offer someone else but I couldn't resist just doing the thing up for myself with all the nice salmon threads floating around the site lately! :thumb: I guess I'm having salmon for lunch for the next couple days... :becky: ...No problem here!

I've been meaning to try out a nice rum glaze on salmon for a while so I jumped on it... Here's how it went:

Wash and dried the fillet & trimmed it down nicely:
16ebae15.jpg

8d7d1943.jpg

Did up a rub/cure for it with salt, b sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, old bay, red pepper flakes & a touch of pink salt. I didn't use it all btw.
7d7593a4.jpg

f0c5895d.jpg

Rubbed, vacced & fridged it for a couple hours:
14af7aa8.jpg

Then I made the Appleton glaze with approximately:
1/2 cup good rum (Appleton)
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
2-3 TB honey
1/2 a lemon (juice)
1 TB wet sugar
1 tsp Pepper flakes

78d094cb.jpg

Took the salmon out the vac bag, washed it and patted it dry:
4518be82.jpg

Gave it a coat of glaze and it went back in the fridge to dry:
f204662d.jpg

I glazed it a couple more times as it dried and sprinkled some black sesame seeds on the last glazing:
9ea18a74.jpg

Then on to the smoker at 200˚ with lychee for smoke:
4e08c70d.jpg

About 2.5 hours in:
0e8663b8.jpg

I reduced the Rum glaze :becky::
3bb43216.jpg

...and started glazing for the last hour:
7ea49959.jpg

***notice the "trimmings have vanished by this point... :shocked::twisted::heh:

And here we are off the smoker @ 135 and resting to go in the fridge for slicing tomorrow! :doh:
a295c5dd.jpg

The samples I aahm... "tested" were to die for! Tomorrow can't come soon enuf! I'll post a couple pics when I've cut em up! :becky:

Thanks for looking guys!
Cheers!

That looks absolutely awesome
can I have some please

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Cool I'm packed and waiting in the pub. :-D

Why does this not surprise me?? :heh:

Looks great! Love the recipe. Appletons has such a good flavor. But...what the fark is wet sugar?

Thanks Guerry! Wet sugar is an old Jamaican thing and its awesome! Just imagine half & half brown sugar and molasses! It's very sweet with that rich molasses kick. Looks like this:
6793ff54.jpg

Looks mighty tasty, Phrasty!

Thanks Brother!

Nice!

Is it tomorrow yet? :becky:

Nah... was running late for work. Gonna deal with it tonight. :thumb:

Cheers

Half n half? Thanks! I can make some then. Regular or blackstrap?

well it's actually not made by mixing the two... is a raw stage of the sugar making process... It's before the sugar and molasses are separated. BUT yes I think the best way to get something close is 1/2 & 1/2. Use regular molasses. Never actually made it myself though. I buy it packaged. Its the "Duckenfield" container. :thumb:

Cheers

That's some good looking salmon and I hate salmon. :shocked: But I love me some Appleton Rum. :-D I brought some home last time I was in Jamaica. Good stuff. I imagine I can get it in the states now though. Thanks for the showing us how it's done!

Back