Took a vacation day to cook - Brisket & Butts

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Took a vacation day from work to start my Father's "Weekend" Perfect weather - sunny @ 78 degrees

Prepped a 14.5# brisket and two 7# butts using my modified version of Funkmasta South's tri-level technique.. I've got Lawry's, Dizzy Dust (Coarse grind), Kosher salt, black pepper, lemon pepper and some Montreal. Pork butts are similar less on the pepper..

Got a nice fire going in the Klose with oak and a bit of cherry.

more pics to come later

Last edited:
Lol, I did the same thing. Having both the FIL and my father over this weekend for Fathers day so I'm making a couple butts and gonna drop some moink balls on later.

Will you be cooking Hot and Fast and if so what temp and how long do you think it will take?

using my modified version of Funkmasta South's tri-level technique..

Got a nice fire going in the Klose with oak and a bit of cherry.

more pics to come later

Now that's what I call a great reason to take a vacation day. Spend it in the smoke... :becky:

Thanks guys.

Will you be cooking Hot and Fast and if so what temp and how long do you think it will take?

I got chamber temp up to 275 then put in cold meat and it came down to 230 or so and I let it stay there for an hour or so. I then added a few more splits to bring up temps up...I'm be in the 275-300 range.

I'll take a pic in an hour or so.

Whens its gonna be ready? I got my pants down by ankles eagerly waiting for the pics

Looking good so far! Funk's tri-level high heat is the way to go for briskets IMO. More pics!

Relax and enjoy your day Vinny. Look forward to seeing the finished goods.

Vinny, enjoy your day off. Try to forget Sled's got his pants dropped waiting on pron.

Have you had the Lawrys/Dizzy Dust combo before?
Sounds interesting/Looks great!

Paul

Here you go Steph...

Here's a quick pic of the brisket about 30 minutes ago. Still has a while to go to get the color/bark and tenderness but it's getting there. Been running 275-295 deg.

milehigh - yes, I've been working with FMS's rub technique for a while now making some minor adjustments.

Last edited:
Looking good so far,

(maybe we should take up a collection and buy Sled a belt....)

still tight..

Not a fan of opening the door too much.. so here's the last pic for now until after they're off the grates and ready to be sliced or pulled into chunks.

Last edited:
Back