My old Texas recipe...................:)-

B

bbqfans

Fajitas, the ones from Central Texas. Flavor,flavor,flavor.....
Will have these with Green Peppers and Onions, grilled along side.:razz:
Tortillas,sour cream, queso and salsa. I'll do some Cinnamon Crisp also and the Guest can BYOB, water for me...:!:
Not a real good shot,but this is the yardbird swimming in marinade:

aug2009brisketeggsveggies019.jpg

I'll be doing them Sunday and will post as they get done..
Sorry a secret Family recipe,but those close can drop by to taste the majic:wink:
They get better flavor with Skirt, but no-one had any today,and we wanted them BAD...:icon_cool
See ya later and:
SMOKE HAPPY:lol:

Not to whine too much, especially since it looks good for a start, but, I was expecting a recipe :| Oh well. Maybe next time.

God, I remember being in Central Texas and talking about fajitas and no one in Central Texas knew what the hell I was talking about. Probably because it came from way further south at that time.

Not to whine too much, especially since it looks good for a start, but, I was expecting a recipe :| Oh well. Maybe next time.

You would be floored If i told you what the winning marinade was for fajitas from 1976 - about 1980. Floored.

Taught to me by Charlie, who did wrest the title from Sonny long ago. They took turns back and forth i guess.

having spent a lot of time on the floor, it is familiar territory. Is there a video?

Not to rain on your parade, but the pre-packaged chicken thighs for fajitas from HEB are the best I've ever had.

Yes, they are. I usually get a large package, some Opa's sausage, and a few $.99 brisket packers to haul back to the land of the dead. People up here can't believe that chix could have so much flavor.

I grill 'em until golden brown, slap some red, yellow, and green peppers mixed with grilled onion, a dollop of sour cream.....

Damn, I'm hungry.

I wished Wyatt was cooking me a brisket right now.

Wrong thread.

I assume you can see that prepackaged chicken fajitas from HEB are not really helping those of use who do not live in Texas.

Try a marinade of lime juice and fajita seasoning. Good stuff.

I assume you can see that prepackaged chicken fajitas from HEB are not really helping those of use who do not live in Texas.

Try a marinade of lime juice and fajita seasoning. Good stuff.

Take the advice offered from JamesTX. Shane, Funk, and most players know that yardbird is not fajita. Good eats for sure, but if it is not skirt steak, it is not fajita. Or is it flank? I don't know, I'm not a Texan.

Take the advice offered from JamesTX. Shane, Funk, and most players know that yardbird is not fajita. Good eats for sure, but if it is not skirt steak, it is not fajita. Or is it flank? I don't know, I'm not a Texan.
In the Great White North it's sold as flank steak. If you go down back to TX, you ask for fajita. True that a real fajita isn't chix, but beef. The cooking method is the same. We could talk about pechuga marinada, but that's another thread.

God, I remember being in Central Texas and talking about fajitas and no one in Central Texas knew what the hell I was talking about. Probably because it came from way further south at that time.

I remember hunting Dove near MCAllen in the early 80's and being served these Fajitas things while sitting on the banks of the Rio Grande. Finest kind. Thought at the time that these would go over well up north, and sure enough they did eventually..

Dave

I remember hunting Dove near MCAllen in the early 80's and being served these Fajitas things while sitting on the banks of the Rio Grande. Finest kind. Thought at the time that these would go over well up north, and sure enough they did eventually..

Dave
No kidding. Flank used to go for about $.89/lb, now its about four times that. Let the guerros in on a good thing......:wink:

No kidding. Flank used to go for about $.89/lb, now its about four times that. Let the guerros in on a good thing......:wink:

These ladies were using Skirt steak, which at the time was ground into hamburger up north. Now the stuff is more expensive than surloin....

Dave

There was an interesting article recently - can't remember where. Talked about the different cuts that restaurants use, since true skirt steak is so hard to find. My wife has taken to buying flap steak - comes from the inside of the ribs and is more marbled than skirt steak.

Yup when I was assistant in meat dept. in the 70's you couldn't give flank steak away. A hispanic man came by one day and bought us out of flank steak and brought a sample back the next day....mmmm mmmmm. I was hooked and bought some from him every other week or so.

HEB fajitas are the bomb.... no mess, tender and delicious!

Oddly, I can get the various cuts for fajitas, since I live next to a very large community of Mexican and Mexican heritage folks here. They have different names, but, the butcher and I can communicate just fine. Usually. I am always on the hunt for good recipes. It is a shame what food trends have done to the cost of some meats, I too remember when flap, skirt, hanger and flat iron were cheap and tri-tip was a waste cut I could always get.

They're done........:}-

Grilled the Thighs on my(embarrased) trashed gasser.

aug2009brisketeggsveggies022.jpg

Put them on with Green Peppers and Onion:

aug2009brisketeggsveggies020.jpg

Put them in the slow cooker to hold :

aug2009brisketeggsveggies024.jpg

Them plated some before they dissapeared:

aug2009brisketeggsveggies.jpg

They were good, did crema and had my salsa with them.Mmmmmm:tongue:
enjoy the Pron, and
Smoke Happy

Kevin,:)-

Can't rain on my parade, I looked for "SKIRT" in 3 places, just that here in OHIO(shudder), they don't keep a lot of good stuff. So, I got Chix. Not Beef, but still very flavorful and has "MY" recipe on it...:icon_devil
I've posted the finish ,so go look at that and DROOL!!!:icon_cool

Back