Vacuum drum for UDS?

MrMike

Knows what a fatty is.
I found this at a local flea market - it's a B&D shop vac that sits on a 55 gallon drum. I bought it for 40 bucks with the thought of making a UDS out of it. I'm assuming that the drum came with the vacuum. It came out of school shop, so I'm guessing it didn't contain any hazardous chemicals - seeing as how they could be vented out of the vacuum. It also has casters on the base, attached to a wooden disc on the bottom of the drum. I'm guessing I'll have to remove that piece of wood if a fire basket is gonna be sitting on top of it.
Did I score or am i stuck with just a big-a** shop vac?

Attachments

• Picture 181.jpg
    Picture 181.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 202
Yup nothin wrong with that, and rather than send the vacuum to the dump, you could pack it up and send it my way.:mrgreen:

I would use it as a big shop vac! That is something I've needed several times!

Yep...looks like a big shop vac sittin' on a 55 gallon drum. I bet a dollar to a dime a 22 1/2 inch Weber kettle lid will fit! :p

If you don't need the vacuum, I'd be posting that same pic on Craigslist with caveat that the drum is not included.

If memory serves, those B&D vacuums are suitable for wet and dry. For dry use only, a fiber drum will probably work fine.

Chris

My thoughts exactly. Or seeing if it will fit a plastic drum which can be had for free in my area. One odd note - I asked around at all the usual places about getting a steel drum - schools, scrap dealers....they all looked at me like I was shopping for weapons-grade plutonium. Once I told them what it was for, they eased up. The scrap guy then quoted me 55 bucks. Glad I waited...

I would use it as a big shop vac! That is something I've needed several times!

me too.... mount that sucker (pun intended) on the wall in the garage and you set for a LOT cheaper than the retail versions. or send me PM with the price of the "lid" with shipping to MA

cheers,

scott

Back