Prime Rib...ALTERNATE???!!!!!!

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I know it sounds sacreligious! I posted in another thread and go no hits, here is what I posted...

QUESTION:
Because the cost is so high, 5.99/lb, on sale... what other cut of meat would be good/decent to smoke? I roasted a Cross Rib Roast, last Christmas, w/ a Horseradish/herb crust, it came out great, any other meat selections?

or do I just fork out the dough?:p

Beef eye round

IM.aspx

Don't take past medium rare, slice relativly thin, pencil width like brisket. Salt the day before cooking and wrap in saran - Season to taste (black pepper or other rub) before cooking

I do those all the time to rare/medium rare with a basic salt/garlic/pepper rub and slice thin for roast beef sammys.

Keale,

That is actually not a bad price for PR. Besides, it is Christmas... I say splurg. That is what I am doing!!!

i did the exact same thing with eye of round few weeks ago. oven mod though. recipe from cooks illustrated i think? very simple..little kosher salt and wrap with plastic overnight. add some pepper and little vegatable oil, sear in hot pan then into oven or smoker with temp probe. oven temp at around 225-250. when internal temp gets to 120, shut oven off and allow to come up to temp you want but don't overcook. slice then like suggested. good stuff.

Eye of round can be tough, though, unless sliced really thin. How about pork tenderloin instead? That can be excellent stuff.

I second the Pork TenderLoin...good stuff that. And it won't break the Bank.

$5.99 per pound is a really good price. Here in PA, I am paying $6.99 to $8.99 per pound.

I plan on cooking my rib roast in my WSM w/ either apple or cherry wood. Going to run the smoker at 300 to 325. I am seasoning with just S&P. I am serving Horseradish Cream Sauce with it.

Yep for $5.99 a pound I would buy a case of them babies. Eye of round or even a tenderloin would be nice.

$5.99 @ # sounds good to me, I paid $6.79 for mine and thought I got a deal:roll:.

How about a sirloin tip? Those are going for $1.79# around here.

You guys are getting a deal. I decided last minute that I needed one more small roast (7 lb.). I had to pay $11.99.

I agree. I just got one at $5.99 lb for Choice. That was $4.00 off their regular price. I agree with Brent...it's Xmas.

I was going to do a poll so we could vote for whether or not Keale should splurge.....but I am a poll virgin...and could not figure it out

Last edited:
I only wish I could get PR for $5.99. I called around the butcher shops and grocery stores here in San Diego. Best price I found for Prime was $11.99/lb at a local grocery store and $7.99/lb for Choice at Costco. I don't bother with Select grade. I found myself a gorgeous small end 4 bone roast at Costco that I'm currently dry aging a week prior to cooking on Christmas Eve. I say SPLURGE! It's Christmas! Save the round for Super Bowl! :biggrin:

Ok, I wonder if I mis-spoke, hold let me check what is 5.99 a lb.

I just looked, its called USDA Selcect Bone in Rib Roast, Thats Prime Rib right?
It makes me feel bettter to know thats a good price!:p

i've seen choice around here for $6.99/pound.

select
choice
prime

beef grades

It's a Rib Roast. It's not a 'Prime Rib' unless the USDA inspector has graded it as a 'Prime' cut of meat. You are looking at less fat IN the meat, meaning it will not be as tender, have the same flavor, etc...

Jorge, Rick, thanks...so is that still a decent price?:p for select?You know restraunts here serve what they call prime rib, and I know its not that "grade"! Is that legal?

Jorge, Rick, thanks...so is that still a decent price?:p for select?You know restraunts here serve what they call prime rib, and I know its not that "grade"! Is that legal?

it's christmas... live a little, i say... find a choice one and get that if you can

the phrase "prime rib" is used anymore for any standing rib roast regardless of the grade.

wiki does prime rib

I agree with Rick - most people will call all rib roasts "prime" but as others have pointed out prime is the grade of the meat. Around here we are paying $4.99 for "premium"rib eye roast.... WTF is that?? For "Prime" from my local butcher it is $11.99/lb.

i'd still get the select one and go for it. it'll probably be better than anything else you can get out there on the island... right?

i saw an ad today for true prime, prime rib at $12.99/pound i think

Back